4. Brief description of newly constructed Budweiser ad

con

I feel my ad is a massive improvement to the original ad based on the following reasons: firstly, it represents the two official languages in Canada, which are both inclusive and evenly represented. This was intended to reveal how exclusive the original ad was, due to the entire ad being written in Chinese characters. This is an issue, as numerous Vancouverites cannot read and/or speak Mandarin and/or Cantonese. Secondly, my ad acknowledges and respects Chinese New Year as an Asian holiday by placing Chinese characters first. This was intentional so that consumers would read and notice the Chinese Characters first. Thirdly, I made sure that there was an even distribution of English, as the law states there needs to be 50% English on ads. Fourthly, this newly constructed ad has removed the power hierarchy and kept the crowd of people to symbolize Canada’s multicultural societies. This was intended to reveal how the power structure was extremely unnecessary and unsuccessful at illustrating the diverse population in Vancouver. The original image only showed one white-male and multiple Asian people. By removing the original image, my new ad hopes to evoke and inspire the value of acceptance, and inclusion within a multicultural country. Having a faceless crowd and changing the ad’s message to, “Celebrate Together!” leaves it up to the viewer to interpret their own ideas of what ethnicities may be in the crowd. Lastly, this ad challenges the idea that Asian people are a new immigrant group to Canada. This is frankly not true. Asian people have been in Canada for many years, and many of them know how to speak English and/or French. It is the influx of new immigrant groups and exclusive business advertisements that help fuel prejudice attitudes and stereotypes about Asian and/or other ethnic citizens. Thus, my ad tries to bring equality to different ethnic groups by removing the power hierarchy and respecting Chinese New Year as an Asian holiday, while including the two languages that are recognized by the constitution, as this is common knowledge that Canada is a bilingual country.