I am a yonsei/fourth-generation settler (she/her/hers). I belong to Japanese emigrant (Nikkei) and hakujin (white, and in my case primarily British) families; I am both, hāfu, and neither. Born of the twentieth-century convergence of my families’ global trajectories, I grew up on occupied W̱SÁNEĆ territory on southern Vancouver Island.

I have been living and working on occupied xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) territory since 2012, where I am an Associate Professor in History at the University of British Columbia. I am also affiliated faculty with UBC’s Asian Canadian and Asian Migration Studies program. I completed my PhD at University College London (2011), my MA in History at Simon Fraser University (2008), and my BA Honours in History at the University of Victoria (2006).

My historical research specializations include British Columbia, Canada, and British imperialism in the long nineteenth century; settler colonialism; gender, family, and society; migration and mobility; and the everyday. At UBC, I teach courses on the history of Canada and global empires/comparative colonialism, and supervise Honours and graduate students in related fields. My professional and public service is propelled by a commitment to equity and the justice work that historical thinking might do in the world.

Beyond this, I am fascinated by the politics of humour and graffiti; the long run, the skateboard, and the detective genre; and unofficial or unsanctioned historical memorials. I believe that none of this is irrelevant to how I approach my work.

On this site, you can find out more about my research, teaching and supervision, and service and community work. Welcome!