Supervision

Overview

Although the specific projects vary, I typically work with undergraduate and graduate students, and postdoctoral fellows, who are researching topics related to the history of British Columbia or Canada, with a particular emphasis on settler colonialism, empire, Asian Canadian histories, gender, race, identity and/or community.

As a supervisor, I look to offer tailored support designed to respect, grow, and nourish the work that each person is here to do; and, in so doing, to help to foster a collective and sustainable research culture rooted in equity, meaning, accessibility, and care.

To ensure that I am able to commit to meaningful support, I am generally only able to work with a very small number of people at a time. My supervision load is currently full.

Postdoctoral supervision

Current postdoctoral fellows:

Graduate supervision

Current graduate students:

Former graduate students:

Graduate committees

Current graduate dissertation/thesis committees:

• Kyrie Vermette – PhD (Asian Studies), gender, colonialism, and women’s history in Korea, 1884-1945.
  • Sarah Fox – PhD (History), “At Home in the Plume: Histories of Unruly Waste and Reckoning in the Pacific Northwest”
  • Nila Ayu Utami – PhD (History), “Othering and Belonging: Indigeneity and the Native Stranger in 20th-Century Indonesia”
  • Ryan Sun – PhD (History), “Enemy Aliens or Destitute Refugees? Jewish Internment in Hong Kong and Singapore (1936-1941)”

Former graduate dissertation/thesis committees:

PhD comprehensive exam fields regularly supervised:

• Global histories of empire, (settler) colonialism, and/or decolonization.
  • Canadian history.
  • History of the North American West.
  • British Empire.

Undergraduate supervision

Current Honours students:

• Emma Quan.

Former Honours students: