Community

Among numerous university and professional service positions, I am currently the Director of the Public History Initiative in the UBC History Department; the convenor of the Indigenous & Canadian History Cluster, based in the UBC History Department; a member of the President’s Advisory Committee on Student Discipline at UBC; and a member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of the Canadian Historical Association/Revue de la Société Historique du Canada (2018-2021). In addition, I have several roles in supporting the upcoming Canadian Historical Association annual conference, which UBC will host as part of the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences in 2019.

Recent public or community group presentations include “Tim-bits from Canadian History” for the cast of Comedy on Wheels (Realwheels Theatre); “Settler Colonialism in Canada, Past and Present,” for a Study Abroad group from Cal Poly Pomona; and “NANITCH: Finissage and Exhibition Tour” at Presentation House Gallery. Please contact me if you are interested in having me speak to your group, especially on topics related to the history of colonialism, British Columbia, and/or Canada.

Subject to availability, I am willing to do media interviews on topics related to my expertise in Canadian and colonial history. For example, I have recently done a number of interviews with local, provincial, and national media outlets regarding the UBC Library’s 2018 acquisition of an incredible archival collection of Japanese Canadian teenagers’ letters. You can read more about this or listen to an CBC On The Coast interview here, and read more or listen to Matt Meuse’s documentary for CBC’s DocProject here.