Posted by: | 16th Feb, 2011

Cereal Box: A Marketing Read

One of the things I love to eat for breakfast is cereal. It’s the easiest breakfast to prepare, and if you serve yourself just the right amount, it’ll fill you up well enough until lunch. However, just as important in this daily routine is the fun of reading the box it comes in! That’s my opinion at least. This morning when I came downstairs for my normal breakfast, I realized that someone in the family had removed the box and instead placed my Cornpops in a tupperware container. Better for storage space I suppose, but what’s my morning without reading my cereal box?!

Despite having read the box several times before, I find that I can never get bored when reading it. Perhaps it’s because my memory always fails too early in the morning and I never remember what I read the morning before, but I seem to learn something new everyday with those friendly looking boxes. Now that I’m learning about marketing, moreover, it’s also like putting what I’ve learned in class or in my readings to the test. Promotion tactics are all over these boxes, and I think that’s what keeps them exciting.

For instance, my Cornpops box is a puzzle that leads to a message that can only be found online. MyKellogg’s Frosted Flakes box has so many games all over it that some even require the box to be folded inside out (naturally convincing the happy player to recycle when finished) – a tactic that keeps Kellogg’s branded as an environmentally friendly company. From a marketing perspective, these boxes contain so many hidden message to interpret that it actually becomes intriguing.

So this morning, I missed my cereal box and lacked my daily dose of morning marketing reading.

Leave a response

Your response: