My Aching Neck and Back – by Suzanne Jolly

by Erin Creak on July 7, 2009

<i>Me climbing! Four pitches up on the apron of the Stawamus Chief (just outside of Squamish, BC). </i>

Me climbing. Four pitches up on the apron of the Stawamus Chief (just outside of Squamish, BC).

I was a passenger in a car accident in 2005 and I have had chronic headaches and neck and back pain ever since. The pain is horrible and can take me out of commission for at least a day (sometimes a couple days in a row).

Top Ten Reasons I Hate My Sore Neck and Back (and the Headaches That Come With)

1. I keep trying to fix them and they are stubborn and go back to bothering me
  2. The car accident wasn’t very severe, so I’m still struggling to have insurance pay for even SOME of my medical fees. (and they always make me feel like a faker and a wuss).
  3. You can’t see when my neck/back are out, so people don’t understand/know when I’m in pain.
  4. I get moody (so it can effect my personal relationships) and I lack mental clarity when I have a headache (so I have problems focusing at work).
  5. I’m never sure when they’ll come around or what brings them on, and I’m never sure how to get rid of them.
  6. I should be better by now. It’s been four years.
  7. Every time I have a little fall or do something physical, my neck/back get royally messed up again. It’s my greatest weakness now.
  8. I worry that if it hurts this much in my late 20’s, how will I feel when I’m 80?]
  9. If I get sick and have to stay in bed, then I end up being sick and getting a really sore back and neck and headache.
  10. As an administrator, most of my job is at the desk in the office. This is really hard on my back and neck.

What I’ve Tried Thus Far

• Chinese acupuncturist (once a week for 6 months)
  • Cranial-sacral therapists (once a week for a few months)
  • Neuomuscular and massage therapists (once a week for a few months)
  • Chiropractors (1-3 times/week for months at a time)

New Strategies

1. Drink More Water
    • Starting this week, I will replace coffee with water in my diet. I’ve been drinking 1-3 cups of coffee every day since I started working at UBC in April. This can’t be good for my digestion, let alone staying hydrated. Dehydration has been linked to headaches, so I think this might help me.
  2. Incorporate Stretching (my health assessment stated that I should work on my flexibility)
    • When I’m at the desk for hours, I need to get up and move. Starting this week, I’m going to actually put into my work day a few little reminders in my outlook (for the first couple of weeks) that will pop up on my computer to remind me to stretch, or at least get up from my desk.
    • I’m going to start taking a yoga class once/week. Yoga is supposed to help with neck/back pain, and I know my muscles are regularly really tight. It will also help prevent injuries for my main physical activity: rock climbing. I’ve only taken a couple of yoga classes before, so this will be an interesting (and amusing) challenge, I’m certain.

Ultimate Goal: Reduce my neck/back problems to a point where I only need to see my chiropractor monthly (at most!), and I don’t have headaches on a regular basis.

{ 8 comments }

Jolene 07.07.09 at 10:18 pm

You may be pleasantly surprised to find a complimentary yoga schedule in your office tomorrow. Not only is the schedule complimentary, so is the yoga!

Michelle 07.08.09 at 8:03 am

Hi, I have also had trouble with back and neck pain and tried acupuncture, massage, physiotherapy and chiropractor with little success. The most helpful thing I’ve done was because of advice from my dentist – I sleep on my back, so my spine and neck are both straight. This has helped more than all of the other therapies combined. I also bought one of those memory foam pillows that’s curved to support your neck, which also seems to help. Just thought I’d let you know, in case it would help you too! Good luck.

Patti Parker 07.08.09 at 9:07 am

You might try “Worksafe Sam” from the link below as a friendly reminder to stretch:
http://www2.worksafebc.com/Topics/Ergonomics/resources.asp?ReportID=33863

Judy 07.08.09 at 9:22 am

I’m stretching… immediately before and after I type this comment…

By the way, I can’t open Worksafe Sam on a Mac πŸ™

Linda 07.08.09 at 10:10 am

I, too, encountered the same cycle of pain in the neck and back after my car was rear-ended several years ago. After undergoing many weekly physio, chiropractic and massage therapy treatments that seemed to alleviate some pain while, at the same time, making me feel hypersensitive to touch, I started my own yoga and stretch routine. The yoga appeared to help more than any of the other professional treatments I had received ,so I highly recommend it. Best of luck.

Pierre 07.08.09 at 12:59 pm

Hi,
Speaking of back pain – and stretching! (This may not be at all related -but it’s still good to know.)

I recently went to see a massage therapist for a tenacious muscle “cramp” betweeen my spine and right shoulder blade (and tightness up my right trapezoid and the side of my neck).

Long story, short: the pain was due (at least in part) to my failure to stretch my pectoral muscles! It turns out that my chest strengthening exercises (and lack of stretching) were drawing my shoulders forward, adversely affecting the associated muscles in back – causing the problem. As long as I remember to properly stretch my pectoral muscles, I’m fine!

Pierre 07.13.09 at 12:47 pm

Suzanne,
I drove past The Chief on the weekend and saw some teenie-weenie little people clinging to the rock-face about 600 feet up. That’s nuts! I’m impressed; I could never summon up the courage to do that. I almost panicked just imagining myself up there!

Suzanne Jolly 07.13.09 at 2:03 pm

So I’ve been in and out of the office (mainly out) last week because of illness and now I just realized that so many of you responded to my blog! Thanks! I feel so popular! πŸ™‚

Michelle- I’ve got one of those pillows too! I even have to take it camping with me, because it means so much for my neck/back!

Pierre- you crack me up. Thanks for being impressed, but there’s a lot of easy routes up there, and it just takes time to get used to the heights πŸ™‚ I miss that big air, when I’m down here on the ground!

Judy- glad you’re doing the stretching! I’m going to look into worksafe sam for my computer (I don’t have a mac- you lucky devil!).

Linda- thanks, hopefully the yoga will help! I’m excited for it!

Jolene- thanks, I’m hoping to go tonight to the free yoga you gave me. I have it at my computer, so that I will be reminded to go every week!

Comments on this entry are closed.