Home

I got a postdoc position in the Design Lab at UCSD, please see here for more information and updated publications.

I am currently a postdoctoral research fellow in the Department of Computer Science at UBC where I actively participate in HCI research within the MUX Lab and at the School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture. I am a HCI@UBC steering committee member and  I am part of the NSERC-funded IDEAS2.0 project, a highly interdisciplinary research group that uses collaboration technology and visualization techniques to support design and planning activities for the urban built environment . I collaborate closely with Kellogg Booth in Computer Science, Ron Kellett in Landscape Architecture and Sheryl Staub-French in Civil Engineering.

I received my PhD in computer science from the University of Victoria, advised by Melanie Tory, where I was a member of the VisID research group. My dissertation was on designing visualization tools and interaction techniques to facilitate collaborative visual analytics (VA). I identified several considerations for incorporating insight management (note taking, annotation and record-keeping) into the design of collaborative VA tools. This research received a VAST 2014 best paper award. I earned my master’s degree in information technology at the University of Malaya and my bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering at Tehran Azad University.

My research on Information Visualization and Collaborative Technologies applies to a wide range of areas such as business intelligence, intelligence analysis, information visualization, urban design and the decision-making process. It includes elements of information visualization, user interface design, computer-supported cooperative work, collaborative visual analytics, large interactive surfaces, touch-based interactions, user interface design, human computer interaction (HCI), note taking and, evaluation methodologies.

One of my future ambitions is to combine my interests in art and computer science to make further contributions to the fields of user experience, human computer interaction and visualization.