About Me

I am a specialist in Renaissance poetry, queer theory, and poetics.

I did my honours BA at Trent University and my MA and PhD at the University of Toronto. I taught at both those universities, at UBC, at Simon Fraser University, and at the University of Calgary before returning to UBC in 2003. I was promoted to associate professor in 2005 and to full professor in 2008. I am also a faculty associate in the Institute for Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice and in the Centre for European Studies. From 2010 until 2015 I was head of department.

I work very hard on my teaching and I was proud to receive the Ian Fairclough Memorial Teaching Award in 1998 and the Killam Teaching Prize in 2008.

I was very happy to receive a Killam Senior Research Prize in 2020.

In 2021 I had the great honour of being elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.

From January-June 2010 I was a visiting professor in the Department of Gender Studies at the Central European University. In November 2017 I was Gareth Roberts Visiting Professor at the University of Exeter. In October and November 2022 I was Plumer Visiting Fellow in Early Modern English Literature at St Anne’s College Oxford.

stephen.guy-bray@ubc.ca