Beyond what the eye can see

I found this photo of one of my old shirts on my camera roll recently after posting it online for a spring cleaning of my belongings. I chose to use this photo because of the significance I feel as though the shirt has. From a young age, girls are either taught or learn from their surroundings that there is a ‘norm’ that defines what it means to be a lady.

When someone thinks of what it means to be a ‘lady’ words like dainty, ‘lady-like’, polite, caring, nurturing, stay-at-home, bright colours such as pink and so many more words and products related to femininity rush through your thoughts. However, there is so much more power and importance that being a lady symbolizes. During the short clip ‘The Girl Effect’ the video touches upon the impact that women can have on society and how they can implement massive worldwide change.

The Girl Effect depicts gendered and racial stereotypes throughout the world. It recognizes how women need to be more acknowledged and invested in because they are by nature more familial, caring, motherly and will therefore multiply the effects of a potential investment. It was said by the United Nations Global Strategy for Women’s and Children’s health that “Women deliver for their families, communities and nations. Now it is time to deliver for women! Advancing the health and rights of women is one of the greatest social causes of our time”. The Girl Effect brings to light how the misconception of the role women play within society can easily be forgotten.

The global sisterhood that is envisioned by the Girl Effect relies on a politics of commonality that masks the politics of Western complicity. It is reliant upon Western definition of women’s empowerment as participation in capitalist economy. Development solutions regarding the Third World are often based on Western capitalist ideas about what empowerment looks like. More times than not, it involves integrating Third World women into the global capitalist economy through encouraging entrepreneurship.

Nonetheless, promoting the true ideals of womanhood and making your mark within society is not always easy. Throughout history women have struggled for equality. Whether it be in the working world or just in day to day life, women continuously fight for their rights and for equality. From this, sprouted the feminist movement, which is one of the most talked about and controversial to some, debate to date.

It was said in ‘The Girl Effect: The clock is ticking’ that by the time a girl hits the age of 12 and lives in poverty her life is out of control and she becomes recognized as a woman. She can become married by 14 and pregnant by the age of 15. If the woman survives childbirth she may have to sell her body to support her family, ultimately putting herself at risk for contracting or spreading HIV. Contradictory to what seems like chosen fait for women living in poverty, there is a solution. The solution is reminding women of their worth and importance in the world and empowering them to make a change and not fall victim to the ever-changing world, but instead to keep up and strive to advance.

Furthermore, the reason I chose this picture is because I feel as though it speaks more volume than to just what the eye can see. It reminds the person wearing the shirt and everyone who sees it that not only is it something special to be a woman but there is so much more to it. What I have taken away from this unit and especially ‘The Girl Effect’ is the importance of empowering women. When women come together and form a global bond, change can happen. And being ‘like a lady’ is only the beginning.