Painting an Image

The issue of painting a homogeneous image of the third world woman is something discussed and analyzed in this week’s reading. By looking at the ways in which a western lens can be applied to a problem in order to warrant support/attention, we can see how from that a limited understanding of the issue results. MacDonald’s article for example, focuses on the education of third world women. For these western NGO’s who advocate for better education, the homogenized trope of poor, passive, and uneducated women is extremely important as it draws an increasing amount of attention from western societies. A sort of saviour complex then falls into place as the west feels it must instil its own values upon said communities.

I linked this idea to my photo for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I thought that the transformation of an otherwise undesirable space into something that grasps peoples attention related back to what western NGO’s like Plan are doing. This alley located on Hastings, a few blocks up from the downtown east side, has been transformed into an urban park so to speak. It has a basketball hoop and occasionally has patio tables set up to add a sense of community to the area. It’s bright, colourful walls are always sure to draw a crowd of tourists and residents alike taking photos.

However, I also think the bigger picture here is important. That being, a lot of people are only attracted to things that they feel comfortable with. In regards to my photo – not many people would venture into an alley a few blocks down the road to explore it. But, because it appealed to them as something interesting, they go. Just as NGO’s frame their campaigns to be palatable for the West, because if they weren’t they would not attain the support needed.

When thinking about this idea in regards to feminism and global feminist issues, the struggles of attaining intersectional discourse becomes clear. If a large number of people are only committed to advocating and supporting what they already know and what is comfortable to them, then we are unable to coherently understand the issues around us. By doing such, we limit our power to positively affect and influence our surroundings.