Reflection for Unit Four- Web Folio, Better Than Instagram?

Hello fellow peers! I have officially created and completed my very own web folio! This project was very fun to organize and complete. When reading over this lesson back in September, I remember thinking ‘that sounds like a lot of work, what is the point of even having a web folio?’ Well let me tell you, I see this is a VERY important and unique way to let the audience chosen to view who you are- not only in a professional way, but personal way because you get to add your own touches. I am very pleased that my attitude changed about the web folio since starting the course, because mine looks great and I am very excited to be able to use it for my professional endeavours.

Before diving right into the creation of my web folio, I acted diligently and read through the Technical Communications textbook chapter on the process of creating a web folio. The most pertinent information taken from the text, was that the web page design for a web folio is just as important as the actual content! With this in mind, I knew I wanted to go with a sleek, simple design that was easy for a member of my audience to navigate and appreciate. I didn’t have to think too hard about what platform I was going to use to host my web folio- it was a very easy decision to pick the UBC blogs. I figured I haven’t used many other platforms and I am now familiar with UBC blogs and know blog support is always on top of things If I were to need any help.

It was valued how our instructor, Dr. Erika Paterson had laid out the expectations of this assignment in an easy manner – but also gave us ample opportunity to make it unique with our own design and additives if we so choose. As some of you are aware, I am always ‘on top’ of things and my time management skills are top notch (if I may say so myself)- so I had started the process of creating my web folio earlier than the start of unit four. I believe this helped as I have been able to self-edit over the weeks and revise certain aspects that didn’t quite seem right in my mind.

Filling in and creating all the expectations for our web folio assignment throughout the weeks was rewarding. I really valued the ‘best works’ page as it was fun to see the different assignments I had completed over the term and how far I have come writing wise. I feel this is a very essential part of the web folio as it gives my audience more understanding of how I can conquer different projects – not just clean teeth! The biggest challenge for creating the web folio for myself would have to be the formatting; it definitely had me frustrated a few times over the process of creation, but I was able to keep my calm (for the most part haha) and carry on getting it to all come together!

I must say I am very thankful to be provided with the opportunity to make myself a web folio. It was a different experience than what we have been doing throughout the term in ENGL 301 and I really enjoyed the ‘creative’ part of this. I am looking forward to sharing this in the future so my audience can see that I am ‘hip’ and have my own web folio!

Thanks for reading,

Meagan Rosenberg