Tag Archives: Assignment 3

Process vs. product

Assignment 2 constituted the build up of a learning process, and assignment 3 was the creation of a learning product. The effort that we invested to make our Introductory Module facilitated the build of our Content Module. Creating the content for our poetry module was fun. It is the part I enjoy most as a classroom teacher and to build this unit in collaboration with others was very satisfying.

The continued work that we invested into this OER highlighted the degree to which a good online course is tightly integrated in its learning objectives, instructional activities, and assessments given. There are so many pieces to consider. In a group, I found that the constant discussions we had ensured that the choices we made could be well-rationalized by both research and common sense. Working independently can often be faster, but I found that I wanted to be more careful and thoughtful about the ideas I presented. It wasn’t good enough to share an okay idea, I only wanted to present and suggest good ideas.

Working in Edge EdX was the second train of thought that has run through my mind for the past month. Even though I consistently engaged with the online LMS, I still feel like an absolute beginner in its application. Edge EdX is a comprehensive and in many ways complicated application. It’s sleek and streamlined appearance give the impression that work within it should be simple, but it is not. I also found that my participation in several MOOC’s has given my the idea of what it might be possible to create in EdX, but I am without the skills and knowledge to replicate that (easily) for my own purposes.

More personally, I would have to say that both the Introductory and Content Module projects felt like very big mountains to climb. I am grateful that I took on these expeditions with a team of skilled mountaineers. Kirsten was a leader and consistently led us along the most efficient and research-based path. Melissa was the outdoor explorer who brought us all the cool, new gadgets and who knew how to use them properly. Jenny was the team member who had us double check our maps and be sure of ourselves before moving on. Each of these fine educational adventurers deserves a full five stars for their collaborative efforts.