Tag Archives: assignment 4

ETEC565A – Assignment 4 – Final Reflection

In many ways, I think ETEC565A was structured in the way I visualized all my MET courses would be structured. Before beginning my journey three years ago, I expected that every MET class would drill me through a variety of technologies and applications in hopes of determining what systems had value, and how different systems could or would achieve different pedagogical and evaluative objectives. Now, at the other end of my MET journey, I understand that this has not been the point of the program. The MET program, overall, has pointed me towards frameworks for analysis and theories that can help me to use the best technologies for each unique context. Still, this course in particular, did try to put me through my paces technologically. I succeeded in some ways, and have continued learning to undertake in other ways. I now see that my original thoughts on what a course in the MET program would be, would have been too much for each course. And I think this course attempted to achieve more than was possible (at least for me) in one course.

In the description of my anticipated Flight Path I used the course title to visualize my learning. I wanted to improve my ability to select, design, and apply learning technologies. I have come to understand that the selection of technologies is at the root of effective pedagogy. The choice of a tool (using SECTIONS within either an ADDIE or agile design model) will determine what can later be achieved with that tool. I have also come to realize that both the restriction of choice, and the overabundance of choice can be difficult to navigate. My school board uses Google Apps for Education and Desire2Learn and in this regard choices have been made for me. I will need to work within the restrictions of those selections.

In terms of design, despite my intentions, I did not spend any time exploring how Inquiry Based Learning and LMS’s could work together. To incorporate Inquiry based learning into a learning management system would have been the synthesis and evaluation of many pieces of the puzzle. Unfortunately, I was too busy managing my learning at the other end of Bloom’s continuum, learning how to navigate an LMS and learning how to choose effective tools. Having attempted (without successfully building) an online course, it is clear that at this time I am better left to integrate tools individually rather than determine how to build them into one comprehensive course. I know that I am capable of building an online course; but I am now aware of how much time this can take. This connects significantly to my final point. In my flight path I had made the suggestion that I would be looking at a variety of LMS’s. In reality, I barely scratched the surface in terms of being knowledgeable about one online LMS.
These three pieces; my ability to select effective technologies and my improving ability to apply and design effective technologies, show me that I should continue to practice the implementation of effective instructional uses of technology in a blended classroom. My notions of moving towards a Google-based certification was laughable; I had no time to do anything but read up on that process. This is a certification I can pursue once I am consistently using technology in the classroom.

But all is not lost, I gained much from ETEC565A.

I became aware of the variety of online, cloud-based LMS’s. I believe that given the financial concerns and constraints faced by school boards, this will become the simplest way for schools to access storage and technologically advanced learning platforms. However, I have also learned that these platforms comes with significant privacy issues that must be resolved prior to asking students to use them and that, again, the use of a platform that only offers a specific set of tools can only afford certain resultant types of learning. These must be aligned to the learning objectives at hand. Working in Edge EdX was interesting, but it was difficult and time consuming. The MOOC’s that I have accessed personally within EdX had me believing that it was a slick and simple system – but it is not. A strong understanding about the behind-the-scenes features, uses, and coding of these programs is essential.

The two elements of ETEC565A that contributed the most to my learning were the discussion forum questions and the group work in which I engaged.

I have always found, and this course is no exception, that I learn so much from my colleagues in the discussion forums. Some students are better thinkers than me, some are divergent thinkers to me, some have more experience in a given area, and some students are in left field. Each has something interesting to offer on a topic and something that helps me to assess and grow my own understanding of a topic. Interestingly, I also like to assess my own reactions to my peers, their writing, and their shared experiences because it helps me to better understand learning and learners in general. Seeing a breadth of learners amongst my own class reminds of the diversity amongst the students I teach. It’s wonderful to be a part of constantly evolving social community.
Working in a group for Assignments 2 and 3 was also very satisfying. I always feel pushed to achieve more and explore more when working as a part of a group. Despite my strong affinity for collaborative projects, I think Assignments 2 and 3 should be completed individually, but with specifically-assigned cohort members for formative feedback along the way. By the time we had submitted our Assignment #3, any formative feedback that could have changed the direction of our project was irrelevant. More direction from other students working on the same project would have been relevant and worthwhile.

The result of the discussion forums, the collaborative projects, and this course in general, show me that rigour and a tight cohesion between what you want to achieve and how you’ll assess the achievement are vital. I think this course aimed to incorporate too many elements. While I found it difficult to choose one LMS to work within, I know that I would be dismayed if I were told which LMS to choose. Paralysis by choice is nothing new in the digital age, and the more I experience it personally, the more I can help my students to know how to navigate endless choices.
But again, rigour and tightly connected learning activities and assessments must drive learning, and I am keen to continue to use technology – well-selected, well-designed, and well-applied technology – to do so.