From Mathletes to Athletes!

David K. Williams is a life long entrepreneur whose company has made the dramatic switch of critical employee credentials to focus more towards the basic standards found in world class athletes. He has led by example influencing companies to follow suit.

The main point he stresses is the competitive spirit found within an athletes character. However, it is not standing in the champion circle where people discover themselves and express their true being. It is during the darkest moments in their lives, where what the athlete is truly made of becomes evident and is unleashed to the world.

The question in jeopardy, “Why you should fill your company with athletes?” has been fulfilled through this extensive list of seven:

1) Athletes never quit

2) They possess an iron will to win

3) They understand that, “what’s in it for me” is a self-defeating question

4) They see the good in themselves and others

5) Athletes are scrappy 

6) They push through the pain until they hit their stride

7) They leave their comfort zone

Today, I am seventeen years young. I aspire to be considered on the caliber of a world class athlete. My sport is rowing. A sport that does not look to score goals, but a sport that defines the meaning of team work.

There is constant requirement to embrace the commitment to the crew, to never let them down, and to always push yourself to the limit. To make the man behind you better by sending a clear and strong signal so he can read and follow. To make the man in front of you the best, by motivating and providing energy when he becomes fatigued and most of all supporting him. Ultimately, it is truly an incredible sight to witness the unbridled sense of power when all eight rowers can capture the magical and illusive synchronicity as one perfect unit. It has been an incredible, rewarding experience to serve as a Senior Lightweight Captain of my crew. Leading this them on and off the race course, winning some races and loosing many battles. This has allowed me to discover their absolute limit, and has defined my character.

There are athletes and mathletes, equally talented to the degree of their own field of work. However, the business world is changing and the Sauder School of Business has been one of the first establishments to emphasize the roundness of a persons character. There is no longer a major emphasis on grades, but a shift of sorts towards defining the person down to their finest traits.

I readily connect with the mission statement from the Sauder Business school, which challenges each of us to see a world of potential, and open the world to become a business leader to put forth change and develop industry and ultimately witness success in our world.

It is not the person who can calculate the distance to the door, but the one who can take the fear of failure and transform it into a competitive drive.  To never stop at the challenges of a closed door, but to open it with aspirations of influencing a new world.

1 Response to From Mathletes to Athletes!

1. Dr. Angus Robert Johan Todd says:

Interesting opinion, Aaron. Though there are undoubtedly benefits from having a ‘never stop till the job is done’ attitude and unbridled enthusiasm, there is also merit to being able to logically think about a problem presented to you. Often times a job can be completed successfully by a relentless work ethic. However, there are many times when pushing “through the pain until (you) hit (your) stride” and attacking a job with “scrappy” attitude might not get the job done quickly and efficiently. Perhaps you should head the words of legendary professional basketball coach Phil Jackson, who said “Wisdom is always an overmatch for strength.”