The Evil Gay ‘Twin’ Lovers & other Psychotic Male Characters that Hide Crime for Money?! Maybe you deserve jail.

I absolutely DESPISED this book,  “Money to Burn” by Ricardo Piglia. It was a difficult read with the characters being all over the place with their odd descriptions. Needless to say this book had more action and crime than the other books, although the amount of vulgar words was insane. The next time I force myself to read this book again (never), I’ll need to take a shot of hot sauces that go up a level of intensity, as shown on the “Hot Ones” series. I absolutely tried to like some of the characters because of their ‘voices’ in their head, wanting to escape to open their Argentinian restaurant, or whatever.

Do I really care though? Good job at justifying robbery (if you’ve forgotten, an illegal crime). 

I’ll give a brief summary of who this story consists of: a group of criminals who did an armed bank robbery in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Their names being Malito, the Crow, the Kid (Brignone), the Blond Gaucho (Dorda), Twisty Bazan and Nando. Likely more but these are the people I managed to catch while reading.

Then there were characters like Blanca (the Girl), an overly sexualized 16 year old girl in the book. That is later beaten up by the police to get information. She was the girlfriend of Crow Mereles, this weird drug and sex addict (isn’t that every character in this book). The Girl is also shared amongst all these men. This book is so uncomfy to read. 

Dorda and Brignone are the ‘twins.’ Similarly to Mereles, Dorda is said to be a psychotic killer, according to his mother who saw him with such evil intentions as a child, has a drug obsession too, and he hears women’s voices in his head. In many ways, those voices can suggest Dorda’s gender conflicts, the sexual assault he faced in jail, or it may just be the drugs. Brignone has some deeply psychological issues too with young girls. I actually wanted to gag with the way he would describe how inappropriately he’d think about girls. Those who read those specific pages, know. 

I think many people may think of this passage to feel a little bad for the twins especially:

‘Those who fled’ (said Commissioner Silva, speaking off there cord) ‘are dangerous individuals, antisocial elements, homosexuals and drug addicts,’ to which the Chief of Police added, […] they’re common criminals, psychopaths and murderers with extensive police records (72). 

Although, they’re so messed up in the head that I literally don’t feel an ounce of sadness for them. 

Nando this big man boss and Malito the true boss and mastermind of them all, yes are horrible people but the rest of the male characters are just as worse. Malito is a silly little traitor ONLY because someone had to do it, sorry 🙁

The following text sums up his stupidity:

“Malito was the boss and had made his plans and prepared his contacts with politicians and the police who furnished him with data, maps, details and to whom, in return, he would give half of the proceeds” (4) LOL BE SO FR. 

The fact that this story was based on a true story is insane, because why is everyone trying to escape jail. Maybe you deserve it one way or another? Haha. Then, Piglia, the author of the book, was sued because of Twisty Bazan’s character by his real life daughter. Apparently he wasn’t a hard core euphoric drug user? I don’t believe that haha. These people are crazy. I think the people you surround yourself with have an indirect role in molding who you are and will be.  Also, all this because of money? Like damn you are SO out of touch with what makes life, a LIFE worth living. Only at the end of the book, when especially Brignone dies is when they realize the riches of life are the relationships, friendships, love, family, and loyalty that matters. I guess burn the money.

Question: Who was your favorite character in this book? (bold of me to ask this)

11 thoughts on “The Evil Gay ‘Twin’ Lovers & other Psychotic Male Characters that Hide Crime for Money?! Maybe you deserve jail.

1. Simi

Hi Adia, thanks for your post. Favourite is probably too strong a word, but I’d say Reyes, the musician. He seemed the least problematic (although he was also an addict) so he’s really only better in comparison to the other characters.

1. granu

They can never let gay people commit crimes…
      Loved your post. I was also uneasy with all the content, but i just pretended everyone lived happily ever (I’m delusional)

2. Arella

Hi Adia, I enjoyed reading your impassioned rant about this! As for my favorite character, it probably has to go to Emilio Renzi – who’s the journalist who sometimes acts as a narrator because of how much I do like authors sliding versions of themselves into the plot (his full name is literally “Ricardo Emilio Piglia Renzi”).

3. Dhwani Ved

Your post was very relatable considering the uncomfortable feeling I also felt while reading the book. Thank you for your perspective!

4. Cici

Thank you for sharing~ This novel is absolutely insane to me lol. If I only look at the relationship of B and D, then I will be moved.

5. grace meadows

Loved the passion in your post! I also did not like this book.
    I guess my favourite character would be the police officer who listened to the transmissions from the mic they put in the apartment.

6. Tes

Adia, I had to google the hot sauce show – haha. I think the role of the inner dialogues, at least for me, was a way to highlight the greyness of decisions that might often seem like black and white from the outside (maybe this also relates to your comment of people deserving prison towards the end…). By no means am I saying the crime was justifiable but the fact that the burning of the money is so central to this real-life event that it made it to the title has to tell us something! I will agree with you that the amount of sexual violence and language is very very hard – especially since it is very normalized.

Thanks for your comment!
    – Tesi

7. Samantha Rogers

I had to read your blog because of this title. I am with you, being that I also hated this book. I forced myself to get through it. I also did not care for the characters at all, they all really deserved jail time based on the number of people they murdered and the characters treatment of the women. I am glad I am not alone in my feelings on this book! Loved your humour and thoughts on the novel!