1.3 Definition and Peer Review Reflection

While working on the assigment I found that having set the intended audience into three different categories changes a great deal of how I saw my definitions. Though I was presenting the same information on the word “mycelium”  my expanded definition in comparison to the parenthetical could have been about a different word with the amount of detail given or omitted. Context I realize is very important in determining which definition is appropriate as, for instance, a sentence or parenthetical definition would not be enough for an explanation in a high school textbook.  

After receiving my feedback from the definition it was great to hear positive comments about my work as well as areas I might have overlooked. Areas of revision included more illustrations of my definition, text separated into paragraphs and the list of references renamed to reflect APA or MLA formate. This had made me realize the importance of having another set of eyes to help polish finished projects as an editor is a great resource in illuminating overlooked areas. In the position of giving feedback, I found myself wanting to be as diligent as possible while maintaining a positive role, I was very conscious of not coming across as overly critical while still giving useful feedback. I realize this is a difficult line to walk and how reflecting on one’s tone is critical in presenting yourself as intended.