Introduction

I hope that you enjoy the course and, in doing so, learn more about GIScience, GISystems, and geographical analysis. In the first lectures I will review the course requirements (which are listed in the Syllabus), discuss some relevant courses offered in the Department (provide some context) and talk a bit about becoming a geographical thinker.

Over the next few weeks I’ll review some of the concepts you should be familiar with (i.e., the “prerequisites”), and then we’ll move onto new material. You should read over the relevant chapter before the class so that you can meaningfully follow the content in the lecture.

The labs cover important GIScience concepts and application areas, as well advanced GISoftware capabilities. For the final project, which can either be a group-based project or something you tackle on your own, you will need to demonstrate that you have mastered the software and are capable of performing advanced analysis.

If you have any questions about any of the materials presented in the class, or in the labs, do not hesitate to contact me.

Learning Objectives

• Recognize the many ways in which we interact with GIS in everyday life;
  • Develop an appreciation for geospatial thinking;
  • Understand what is expected from you in this course.

Recommended Readings

Useful Resources

1000 GIS applications!

A VERY relevant free, online text: Intro to GIS and Spatial Analysis by Manuel Gimond. If you know R then this text is for you--Gimond provides an appendix in which he outlines how to perform spatial analysis using R.  However, the first half of the text provides an easy-to-follow introduction to GIS and spatial analysis that I highly recommend everyone review.

ESRI's 'What is GIS? video

Things to know about Geographic Information Systems (GIS) as a Career

Precision visuals and forest fighting

Penn State University: The GeoSpatial Revolution (video)

Keywords

Geodesign, Geospatial Thinking, GIScience, GISystems