So now it seems even Full HD isn’t good enough

I do love electronics. I could spend hours in an electronics store and walk out with a smile even if I didn’t buy a single thing. I guess it’s a guy thing. The same guy gene propelled me to attend the Consumer Electronics Store 2013 in Las Vegas. Every company, small or large, were present there; flaunting the next generation product. As much as I love these shows, I can’t help but question the market research that led to the development of some of these products.

IPotty which is an Ipad accessory is meant to hold the Ipad in place for your young toddler while he/she is on the pot. Do they seriously believe there is a market for this? Smart phones which work even after being drowned in water for 3 hours. Is that a big USP? I guess if I was clumsy and did drop my phone in the commode, I shouldn’t worry as long as I don’t flush. My favourite was the online plants. You get to actually prune and take care of online plants on a screen using an external pair of electronic shears. Give me break. Even I, with a brown thumb, know that it can’t be exciting. These are great gimmicks, but would you pay good money for them?

Having said that, you never know what catches the fancy of the consumer. Who would have thought that Angry Birds would be a million dollar business? Companies that sold us ‘Full’ high definition televisions are now scrambling over each other to release TVs with ‘Ultra HD’ resolutions, which is four times ‘fuller’ than Full HD. So if these can work, maybe there is a hope for the other products as well.