It was really hard to make a compact list of songs that I felt represented my transition to UBC thus far. However, I feel that the songs I’ve listed below truly reflect the last few months of my life. There is a mixture of slow trill songs, ‘hype’ songs, cry songs, empowering songs and songs that are just nice to sit and listen to (I live on the 4th floor of my building and I’m facing a whole lot of trees and when it’s like 2/3 am it’s very therapeutic to sit and listen to music and watch the trees. I actually find that is when I do my best thinking/reflecting.) The others I have selected from random playlists. All of the songs in the playlist are ones that I have heard since being here. The reason for this is because, although I still listen to a lot of the same music as I did before coming here, I have grown/ changed quite a bit and wanted that to be reflected in the songs chosen.

My first instinct when asked to create an auto/biographical representation of myself was to draw/ paint/ colour something. However, I realised that it would be an inaccurate representation of who I am because more and more I have found myself taking more pictures as a way of capturing moments. But neither paintings nor photos would be sufficient to capture who I am and the experiences I have had since coming to UBC. And who am I? An 18 year old girl, who is from Jamaica, lived in the United States, spent the majority of her ‘development’/ ‘defining’ years in Indonesia, whose family currently resides in Eastern Africa, and who is now freezing her life away in Vancouver, Canada.  I find myself drawn in multiple directions at all times. That can sometimes make it a little hard to represent myself in a clear way. My playlist helps to capture some of what I have felt.

I can’t sit here and tell you that it has been easy sailing because that would be an absolute lie. But what I can tell you is that I have learnt a lot, I’ve met (and continue) to meet at least 3 new people every day, and  I’m starting to find my place. Transitioning is hard, and it does not matter who you are, how old you are, where you have lived, etc. It doesn’t matter, transitioning always has its challenges. Nevertheless, if you dive right in and remember where you came from and who you are, and if you have a good support system, and keep an open mind then transitioning to a new place could potentially be one of the best decisions you have ever made.

Who am I? As of November 21, 2016 Alex is…

1. The Trouble With Us- Chet Faker, Marcus Marr
  2. Me and Your Mama- Childish Gambino 
  3. Friday- PARRI$
  4. Contradiction- Mali Music ft. Jhene Aiko 
  5. Loners Blvd- Tory Lanez
  6. Say You Won’t Let Go- James Arthur 
  7. Favorite Song- Chance the Rapper 
  8. You’re the One- Kaytranada
  9. It’s All in Vain- Wet
  10. Easy Easy- King Krule 
  11. 4r Da Squaw- Isaiah Rashad
  12. Where Did I Go- Jorja Smith 
  13. What if I Go- Mura Masa
  14. Girl- The Internet & Kaytranada
  15. If you Let Me- Sinead Harnett
  16. The Wind Cries Mary- Jimi Hendrix

(Song- Artist)