Week 9 – BRB Bleaching My Eyes Out Right Now (The Lover)

Seriously, what in the world did I just read?? I mean, I’m all for books pushing boundaries and giving me a glimpse into the unexpected…but this one left me feeling so disturbed. I felt like I went through an emotional rollercoaster that delved deep into the darkest recesses of human desire. Like I enjoy reading books that are different and a bit weird but this was just really really disturbing. This was a weird, uncomfortable and sometimes disturbing novel, but at the same time that’s what made it so frickin fascinating…right? Before, I delve further into an “analysis” of the book I have to wonder how on earth someone comes up with a story like this (yes yes I know it’s semi-biographical), but the intensity and level of raw emotion was enough to frazzel my brain. However, I do realize that along with the disturbing aspects there is more going on beneath the surface.

Moving on, one of the main themes that Duras painted very vividly was the contrast in lifestyles between the two main leads. Their “forbidden” romance was interesting to read, not only because it challenged the expectations of society but it also highlighted the profound weight of social status and wealth, especially in their relationship dynamics. Touching a bit more on the difference in lifestyle, it was interesting to see how the protagonists modest family background and unstable financial situation, shaped her worldviews and aspirations. Despite her precarious upbringing she was observant and very independent and navigated the complexities of her family’s financial struggle quite well. Seeing the The stark contrast in how she was portrayed and how she thought was fascinating to read because her intellectual maturity didn’t really make her seem all that young. Moving on, I have to say that while their romance was a captivating read I will say I could have done without the *ahem* ferry scene…but I guess it did add to their passionate affair.

Also a bit of a side note but did this novel remind anyone of the novel “Lolita” by Vladimir Nabokov?? Cause both explored the complexities of a taboo relationship between a young girl and a much older man, but with this novel it was unique interesting to read the “love story” from the perspective of a female protagonist.

Question to think about: Why do you think Duras decided to end the novel with the protagonist and wealthy man not ending up together? Did it add a sense of realism?

1 thought on “Week 9 – BRB Bleaching My Eyes Out Right Now (The Lover)

1. Tes

Alizey, I liked you bringing up the internal versus external world. I think there is something to be said regarding the shift in narrative voice around that theme of “contrast in how she was portrayed and how she thought.” And yes, you highlight some very important differences with Lolita which some may overlook!

Thanks for your comment!
    – Tesi