Barbershops Need To Get on Social Media Right Away

Barbershops. I went to go get a haircut the other day at a barbershop and it turned out fantastic, but the problem was that it was nearly impossible to find good, credible barbers online, especially in my area. My usual barber was out of town so I was forced to find somewhere new this time and I did what I always do before I make a decision to buy or try something:

1. I Google “the topic + my general location or city”,
  2. Click on the first few search results,
  3. Check their reviews on Yelp, their Facebook, and maybe Instagram if there is a link.

To my disappointment, I found that a lot of the barbershops in my area don’t have a website, only a number and address provided by 411, yellow pages, or Yelp – and most of them had no reviews. This frustrated me because it made my decision much harder than it should have been and longer than it should have taken – and they’re missing a huge opportunity that could be capitalized on at any given time just by not being present online in any form. The use of social media has proven to garner significant results in many businesses and industries, especially ones that offer a very aesthetic/visual aspect to it, such as fashion. But even without using pictures, just by being online and interacting with customers, providing content and responding to feedback, companies (barbershops in this case) can increase their exposure and that exposure to viewers can be leveraged and turned into customers.

10325773_692325477490907_5736582370025326794_n

Dog Pound Barbershop in Surrey, BC https://www.facebook.com/dogpoundbarbershop

As John Burton points out in this article, you could get your customers to like or follow you on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or some other platform, and then message them with something like ‘Hey,” it’s Wednesday, 10:00 am. Business is slow. No line/wait right now. Come in today and save $3.” ‘ I know for one, if I got that message/received that tweet/saw the update, and I was not at work or in class, I would go into the shop and get that haircut, and really who wouldn’t? It would be at a discount and with no wait time! Plus, with Instagram being the leading platforms for marketers to receive engagement now, barbers can now post pictures of: their work, before-afters, pose with their customers, promote products and contests, and a whole bunch of things to promote their own brand and differentiate themselves through the app. They can build trust before the customer even sets foot in their doors, they can tailor their Instagram portfolio to certain people and areas with specific hashtags, and most importantly, they can build a presence and reputation. It is also important for barbers, that once their on social media, to engage and respond to their customers as well. Nothing annoys me (and possibly other people), like a page that just shamelessly promotes its own brand constantly without responding to customer reviews. If barbers do this on all their platforms AND Yelp, then they can really interact with their customers in a human way and provide a positive experience both online and offline, giving them reason to come back and also spread the word about your barbershop – giving you a huge edge over other barbers in the area.

In conclusion, the online activity that barbers have can greatly affect business and improve their bottom line. The more active they are online – to a certain extent, to post pictures, respond to customer reviews and inquiries, and provide useful information – the better.