Posted by: | 24th Mar, 2011

product placement: good or bad?

I’ve never really thought in depth about all the product placement there is in movies, music videos and tv shows until now. I’ve always noticed celebrities endorsing products and also using them for various shows but it didn’t occur to me that this was one way of promoting the products and that company’s actually spend lots of money just so there products can be exposed.

Recently, 2 music videos have caught my attention on product placement:

1) Dr Dre featuring Eminem: I need a Doctor

Products:

Dr Dre’s own Beats sound system, his runners, gatorade bottle that he drinks out of

In addition to tangible products that we see in the music video, Dr Dre. also makes subtle references to previous albums, his life through flashbacks and also Eminem’s previous albums as well.

For this video, I thought the product placement worked decently with the whole concept of the video: the concept was  short music film depicting a storyline so the product placements weren’t right up in your face and they actually related to what the video was showing.

2nd music video: Britney spears

This video however is definitely not as subtle than the first one. In fact the product placements are really in your face. First there is a shot of britney holding her own perfume, , and then we see a close up of the make up forever professional she uses. A more discrete product is the plenty of fish website but for sure the most obvious one is SONY. There iare multiple shots of the SONY computer screen and in addition the music video captures all the SONY tv screens. In my opinion, the product placements in this music video actually distract me from enjoying the music, instead I am constantly interrupted by the screen shots and close ups of the products.

Leave a response

Your response: