Designer handbags – worth the cash?

My mom is becoming a shopaholic and somewhat having the “brand-name obsession”. Last year, I went back my hometown to visit my family and surprisingly, I found a drawer in my mom’s closet which was full of designer handbags.

Sometimes I wonder if those handbags really worth the money? Why do people ever want to pay a huge amount of money for just a handbag which they may use just once in their whole life?

Some people actually argue that all designer bags worth the money. Their prices reflect their quality.

Designer bags are made from the best materials and often boast the softest leather and are lined with the finest silks, this in itself is worth a great deal because these bags are built to last, and not just for this season and the next but often for decades. (source)

And sometimes, a designer bag even serves the purpose as an investment.

If you buy the latest must have and enjoy it for a couple of months then put it up for sale, you will be more than surprised to find that you will usually make your money back and sometimes even a profit! (source)

Bright sides of purchasing designer handbags!

But not everyone use ONE designer handbag frequently for years. Only a few times or in a season, then the lovely, expensive bags will probably sit in the closet forever.  And just like my mom, she never has the habit of selling her fashion items. She loves keeping them, probably to make a collection?

The obvious dark side of this? A brand-name obsession!

People purchase and wear them just to show off their wealth or the sophisticated status. Items on their bodies equal how rich they are.

Designer handbags are not always nice and really “high-quality”. But just like Apple’s die-hard fans, fashion brands also have their die-hard fans, who sometimes blindly purchase their products without considering if the products are really nice and fit them.

In my opinion, it’s all about the brand equity. Consumers perceive some benefits they can get from designer handbags (whether they are quality, wealth showing-off, status…). And the price they pay includes the “cost of brand name”.

And do they worth the cash? It’s all up to your own judgment!