Thoughts on Agualusas The Society of Reluctant Dreamers

Wow the final book! I’m glad Agualusas The Society of Reluctant Dreamers was my final read because it made my top 3 for sure. I was very interested to read a book set in Angola because unfortunately i’ve only ever learned about its colonial history and the Portuguese expansion so I can now say I know a little more about the country itself.

I found Agualusas narrative fairly easy to follow compared to our previous reads. Possibly because its more character driven or I just enjoyed the plot more. It mostly follows Daniel who is a struggling journalist in Angola during a time of transition (although he does make trips around South Africa and Brazil). I liked Daniel as a narrator because, unlike some of the books we’ve read, we get to know him really well and we get an insight into his childhood, early years, and his daughter through the many journal entries and letters. The italic journal aspect reminded me of Perecs W and The Memory of Childhood but rather than being two completely distant stories, the journals in Agualusa aided my understanding of the book more. I enjoyed this aspect a lot as it transported me further into the lives of the characters, I almost forgot this book was fiction.

In addition I felt so involved in this book, my emotions were all over the place. Some parts read as a comedy, others (especially the the story of Daniels beloved lion cub called Moshe Dayan pg.25-30, poor guy) almost made me cry. There were even pretty dark aspects (like Hossi’s history). Overall it was a very multi-faceted story that could get overwhelming very easily but I think Agualusa organized it very nicely.

I was really intrigued by the title The Society of Reluctant Dreamers and wanted to try and unpack the meaning. I think dreams are our most raw and real thoughts because we can’t control them, thats what makes them reluctant. Dreaming is a human characteristic that we all share. We don’t choose to dream and we can’t force ourselves to either. Dreaming can be euphoric but also traumatizing, it’s almost like a surrender, to dream. As a kid one of my biggest curiosities was why we dream, do they have any meaning or significance, do they predict the future? I still don’t know the answer to this but I also think that there is no answer. I think the quote on the introductory page says it best:

“Let us always remember that to dream is to look for ourselves” Bernardo Soares/ Fernando Pessoa

So, for my question to the class, I wanted to ask what does this quote mean to you? What do you think was the intention of the author of opening the book with it?

3 thoughts on “Thoughts on Agualusas The Society of Reluctant Dreamers”

1. “I think dreams are our most raw and real thoughts because we can’t control them, thats what makes them reluctant.”
    I completely agree. As for your question, I can’t speak to the author’s intentions, but I do believe that the quote refers to the aspects of dreams that reveal our hidden desires, buried away within our subconscious’. Each time we dream, we learn something new about ourselves, even if it doesn’t immediately set in upon waking. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Great post.

2. Hey Anna, I agree with your analysis of dreams being a reluctant process since we as dreamers cannot consciously control them. Dreaming is a private and personal experience, so I think the author’s intention with that quote was to remind the readers that dreams serve us by portraying our truest selves when we maybe can’t see it ourselves. All the dreamers in the book were looking for answers about their dreams, maybe the answer is to just look for the elements of your dream that tell you something about yourself. Thanks for your post 🙂

3. Hi Anna! I enjoyed reading your blog, I also am glad that I have chosen this novel for my final one because it’s definitely one of my favorites as well. I think this quote may mean that our dreams can sometimes reveal something about ourselves or the people around us. As mentioned in the novel, I think Moira was the one who said dreams are intimate because it’s the truest thing and there are no lies covering them. I think the author’s intention in opening this quote is to remind readers that dreams are a way to discover one’s identity since dreams don’t lie.