Mar 13 / Annie Ju

Student Protests at McGill University

On the other side of the country, our fellow Canadian university students are actively protesting against tuition increases. Quebec currently has the lowest in-state tuition rate in Canada, and the province wants to add an extra $325 to the annual fees for the next five years.

Naturally, most university students opposed this proposition and began their protests across McGill campus. It has escalated to a sort of violent riot, as a number of people – both students and the police – are being injured. I was quite appalled to hear that the cops showed up with tear gas, and used force against the protestors. Since the protest began last fall, it has been reported that the riot police is using brutality against some students: batting them with batons and pepper-spraying them in their faces. I’ve even heard through friends that one student lost sight in one of his eyes.

At this instant, I remembered the Vancouver riots of summer 2011: the unforgettable catastrophe that stormed the downtown streets of Vancouver after the Canucks lost the Stanley Cup to Boston. Violence was everywhere, and the riot police had to use some force, like tear gas, to control the crowds. Having witnessed the crazy behaviors of some people, I saw the need for the cops to stop them harshly.

However, the story at McGill is somewhat different. The students aren’t breaking windows and setting cars on flames. They are fighting for their education – to keep the same level of accessibility that they currently have. Tuition increase will certainly discourage some students from attending university or continuing their education – as exemplified by some current students who have walked out of their classrooms, boycotting. Education is an important aspect of building a hopeful future for society, and it’s rather unfortunate that students constantly have to struggle to keep it a feasible option for themselves.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1142458–police-fire-tear-gas-at-student-protesters-in-montreal?bn=1

3 Comments

leave a comment
  1. Mollie Deyong / Mar 15 2012

My only issue with students protesting tuition increases is that I think a lot of these students don’t investigate WHY their tuition is being increased. They just see that they need to spend more money and get angry. For example, I believe that professors (and other teachers!) are underpaid in Canada. Not that prof salaries are pathetically meagre, but I believe that profs do change people’s lives (not in a corny way, but they do! They shape the way you see the world). So, if my tuition increased a bit to pay the faculty more, I think I could deal with that. It reminds me of all the HST protests – people just get so worked up when money is involved, but not enough people take the time to chill out and get the facts straight.

2. Stan Squires / Mar 21 2012

I am from vancouver and i supports the students demonstrations against tuition hikes.In my opinion the students at Mcgill and Concordia shouldn’t have to pay for their education.If students in a poor country like Cuba can get a university education free students here in canada which is much wealther should be able to do the same.Education and Health Care should be top priority for the gov.of canada.
    In 1968 students in France showed what they can do.It made the headlines all around the world for weeks.Recently in Egypt students were in the front lines of the battle for more democracy.All progressive people and unions in Quebec should support these students.Keep up the good work.

3. mohammadseyrafi / Mar 21 2012

This is very disturbing. I think the Provincial government is going about this the wrong way. You dont just add 325 dollars to every tuition. They could have done this over the long run with incremental increase.