In Response to: “The Case for Optimism and Risk at Startups”

I am writing in response to Mark Suster’s “The Case for Optimism and Risk at Startups“.  Suster posted a brief story about a skeptic who spoke out against a company (uBeam) that he backed and delved into the different roles played in a startup. While the true nature of the post could have been to show solidarity towards uBeam and disprove the scepticism against it, the defined roles in a startup that followed his story had a particular interest to me.

It defined the role of an entrepreneur as those willing to abandon the comfort and security of a job with a salary while striving to pursue their passions in the face of failure.  The blog post went on to further explain how an entrepreneur has to be an optimist who is okay with being subject to pessimistic remarks of nay-sayers and backbenchers and willing to fight tooth and nail for what they believe in.

In previous posts, I have spoken about my interest in entrepreneurship.  I truly admire entrepreneurs and hope to one day be able to call myself one.

Suster’s parting words stayed with me:

suster
Taken Fromhttp://www.bothsidesofthetable.com/2014/11/05/the-case-for-optimism-and-risk-at-startups/

No matter the intention of the article, I stand by Mark Suster and agree that remarks from onlookers do not determine the fate of a company, but the ideas and minds that carry them out do.