From Smartphone to Smellphone

Smartphones can do almost anything these days, starting from such basic functions as calling and texting and ending with scanning documents and creating spreadsheets and presentations. Out of 5 senses, they have already encompassed three: sight, hearing and touch. And while tasting or licking your phone might be a bit too much I admit, what about the sense of smell?

Brandchannel.com reported that Oscar Mayer has recently become one of the first successful pioneers in this sphere by creating theĀ Wake up & Smell the Bacon app, a program that wakes you up in the morning by emitting a delicious smell of bacon right into your face through the scent vaporizer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiWdF3u9C0w#t=79

Honestly I believe that this technology has a very big potential! In marketing and advertising the possibilities that this innovation brings are countless, especially for the industries that heavily depend on the sense of smell.

For instance, imagine going to Sephora and as you buy one of their products, they give you a small scent vaporizer as a free gift instead of their usual mini fragrance vials. You attach it to your phone, download their app and bam! It opens dozens of different brands of perfume which you can smell without leaving your room. So next time when you make a purchase you already know what products you want to buy.

This technology might become a compliment for many other products, such as deodorants, shampoos, creams and soaps, for beverages such as coffee and wine and even for cigarettes and tobacco industry. As I said before, the possibilities are limitless. Smellphone is still a very unusual concept for many consumers, but I’m very excited to see its future development!