How Multicultural are we?

The Canadian Multiculturalism Act of 1989 was created by Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau and passed by Prime Minister Brian Mulroney is a law in Canada that was enacted to protect and enhance different cultures, diversities, ethnicities, languages, etc and signalled that it would welcome all different types of people who came from different backgrounds. The Act is dissimilar from other state legislation in Canada’s past that discriminated against certain groups of people such as the Chinese Head Tax and other policies similar to it.  This act is one that tried to fix the racial discrimination that had happened and allowed by the state previous to it.

Section 3 (1) of the Act is where its motivations are:

It is hereby declared to be the policy of the Government of Canada to(a) recognize and promote the understanding that multiculturalism reflects the cultural and racial diversity of Canadian society and acknowledges the freedom of all members of Canadian society to preserve, enhance and share their cultural heritage(b) recognize and promote the understanding that multiculturalism is a fundamental characteristic of the Canadian heritage and identity and that it provides an invaluable resource in the shaping of Canada’s future

(c) promote the full and equitable participation of individuals and communities of all origins in the continuing evolution and shaping of all aspects of Canadian society and assist them in the elimination of any barrier to that participation

(d) recognize the existence of communities whose members share a common origin and their historic contribution to Canadian society, and enhance their development

(e) ensure that all individuals receive equal treatment and equal protection under the law, while respecting and valuing their diversity

(f) encourage and assist the social, cultural, economic and political institutions of Canada to be both respectful and inclusive of Canada’s multicultural character

(g) promote the understanding and creativity that arise from the interaction between individuals and communities of different origins

(h) foster the recognition and appreciation of the diverse cultures of Canadian society and promote the reflection and the evolving expressions of those cultures

(i) preserve and enhance the use of languages other than English and French, while strengthening the status and use of the official languages of Canada; and

(j) advance multiculturalism throughout Canada in harmony with the national commitment to the official languages of Canada.

The Act’s intentions were of a good ethical standing and shaped the way that Canada is made up today. Canada is home people of many different cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, and languages. Immigration has helped Canadians have a more diverse neighbourhood leading to the break-down of many social taboos, such as inter-racial marriage or having French immersion schools. Multiculturalism certainly has impacted my own life, coming from a strong Ukrainian family. I grew up taking Ukrainian dance lessons and attending Ukrainian cultural festivals near Edmonton.  These festivals are widely attended by both Ukrainians and non-Ukrainians and is an example of Canada does try to celebrate other cultures (plus there is free perogies so it is worth it).

However, this is still a pervasiveness of British whiteness that exists in Canada. Daniel Coleman in his White Civility: The Literary Project of English Canada explains how Whiteness “still occupies the position of normalcy and privilege in Canada” (7). In Canada, those identify as White still experience more privilege in society and frequently are represented in Canada, through government, corporations, and public workers. “White” is still considered widely as the ‘normal’ culture in Canada and while others are legally protected under the Multiculturalism Act, they are still considered ‘other’. While it is great that Canada throws multiculturalism festivals, it is rare that the British Whiteness is represented. This is because it is considered the norm; there is nothing to throw a festival for because it is considered not different from what most people in Canada experience.

The Government of Canada has come far in the last century, but it is still widely a White Males playground and lacks in diversity. Since the Government is the group that governs the ‘state’ of Canada and those who are represented are White, male, and generally not young, that is the pervasiveness of British Whiteness still having an effect in Canada today. Even though the Multiculturalism Act has changed the face of different cultures legally, it does not change it culturally in Canada where British Whiteness is the norm and any one else is then othered.  Recent reports show that feelings of anti-Muslim sentiments are growing even though the Act is supposed to rectify that.

So how multicultural are we really? How much do we still assume British Whiteness is the norm? Do we as a state contribute to honouring the Multiculturalism Act in its true intentions? Not at all, 100%, and probably not.

canada-in-words11

Geddes, J. (2013, October 3). Canadian anti-Muslim sentiment is rising, disturbing new poll reveals. Macleans. Retrieved from http://www.macleans.ca/politics/land-of-intolerance/

Keung, N. (2015, January 2). Parliament’s lack of diversity goes beyond race, gender: study. The Star. Retrieved from http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/01/02/parliaments_lack_of_diversity_goes_beyond_race_gender_study.html

5 Thoughts.

1. Hi Alyssa, I really enjoyed reading your post!
    In many ways I feel like this class we’re taking is a step towards a more truly diverse, open, and multicultural Canada. As a Canadian of Ukrainian descent did you ever feel somewhat ostracized in Canadian society? Do you thin the Act has made any tangible changes at all since its inception?
    Interested to hear your thoughts,
    Gretta

2. Hi Gretta, thank you for your comment!

I do think this class is a really important learning and engagement tool to help us become better citizens. I certainly have been learning things that I would have never considered and am glad I am gaining the education and the language to discuss such things 🙂

I do not think I ever felt ostracized per say because I do appear as “white” and identify as such. No one would assume I was “different” because I look like the “British Whiteness”. It was really only my friends who knew I took Ukrainian dance and such because we were friends and knew everything about each other. I do remember in Grade 9 I mentioned that I was from Ukrainian descent to my group of male and female friends, and a few of the males in the group made comments like “oh your family was gypsies” and jokes about the purges that Russia committed against Ukraine. They likely were trying to be “funny” as they were my friends but I remember it being very hurtful and I felt a responsibility to stand up for the culture I knew well. Ukrainian Canadians during the First World War were internered in Canada but it is not taught in history classes: http://www.warmuseum.ca/firstworldwar/history/life-at-home-during-the-war/enemy-aliens/the-internment-of-ukrainian-canadians/. Because this is so often ignored, people do not know about it and like my male friends, joke about it.

I think the Act opened Canada up to more than just the White Europeans and Eastern Europeans that had been the previous attention of Immigration Canada. We opened the borders to more than just Europe which is a huge turning point in creating diverse countries.

Thank you and I hope I didn’t ramble on too much!

3. Hi Alyssa, I thought you touched on some interesting points, particularly that whiteness is seen as a “default,” a backdrop against which everything else is set. Even the word “white” suggests a blank slate. I think it would make sense to explore that heritage more in the multicultural context and make light of its idiosyncrasies, which in modern Canada still seem to be taken for granted.
    For multiculturalism to be more than a mere acknowledgement that many cultures happen to live here, it has to emphasize the idea that all cultures have things to contribute to society, not just in the arts but in economics and government as well. Even though it was probably well-intentioned, the ultimate effect seems to be superficial when the homogeneity among power-holders that you pointed out continues.
    Thanks for the well-written post!

4. Hi Alyssa,

Interesting thoughts on this topic! I’m just going to comment briefly on the infographic you included at the bottom of your post. It’s a really neat visual description of Canadian regions and stereotypes. I always like these kind of things, but I think that because I read it at the end of your post on multiculturalism in Canada, I noticed different things than I normally would. It seems like certain regions have more to do with people and others more to do with objects, and a lot of those areas correspond to land we see as empty. The Territories, for example, has nothing to do with people, just ice and cold weather and some natural resources. Ontario and Quebec and the Maritimes have descriptions mostly related to people, and the Western provinces are more about land and natural resources than about people. This could play into our settler stories of coming to inhabit empty land, ignoring the Indigenous peoples who already lived on that land. Do you think that makes sense, or am I reading too much into it?

Thanks!
    Kaitie

PS Where’d you find this infographic?

5. Hi! Thank you both for your comments.

First, to address Mattias’s post, thank you for pointing out that the word White represents a sort of blank state that is symbolic of many other things in our culture as well. I find it interesting how it connects to both purity and Whiteness, such as its saying that the White culture is “pure”. Thank you so much for your comment!

Hi Kaitie! I totally got that from the infographic as well, it seems as if that if the North is entirely under-represented on most discussions/maps of Canada. This is the link to the map https://postmediacanadadotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/canada-in-words11.jpg
    I think that the map is interesting because it represents the general thought or bias of the provinces where in fact most of them may not represent 99% of the people in that province. I don’t think you can ever read too much into things, it is by reading into things that we truly can learn and discover new things 🙂