First Nations And Business

It is very common in British Columbia for the First Nations people and the government to clash about various projects on Aboriginal land. An example of this is in an article by Peter O’Neil in the Vancouver Sun where the Treaty 8 Tribal Association is urging Prime Minister Harper to reject an 8 billion dollar hydro proposal. The First Nations people argue that it would significantly affect the environment and fishing around the land. This has been an issue many times throughout Canada, including in my own town. Being from the Sunshine Coast, when I was younger I had first hand experience with a similar issue. There was a controversial gravel pit proposal on the traditional Native land. Originally, the First Nations were not pleased with the proposal, but eventually came to a compromise that worked for both parties. I think it is crucial that the government continues to honor the original people of Canada, while also continuing to develop alternative energy sources. This also relates to the business ethics we learned in a prior class, and I believe that doing the utmost to honour the First Nations people is the correct route. Hopefully, the government will be able to make a fair assessment on this issue.

Inside a aboriginal building in Sechelt, British Columbia.

Inside a aboriginal building in Sechelt, British Columbia

Article Used: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/First+Nation+chiefs+stage+Site+showdown/10215965/story.html