Reflection blog – Unit One

In the first unit of the course, I have learnt how to write specific documents such as letters, memos and emails in a professional manner. After that, I set up my very first personal blog where I can post my reflections, reviews and assignments. I also formed a writing team and wrote an assignment defining the term “absorption rate”.

The definition assignment was challenging to me as I had to explain a term that I understand and use it often but never thought about actually having to explain to someone else who is not familiar with the term. The steps of explaining a term using parenthetical definition, sentence definition and expanded definition made the process much more systematic and logical for me to organize my thought and this requires me to think and learn the term carefully so that I can complete the assignment. One major problem I am particularly struggling with is to write precisely as I feel like I have to include more words in order to explain fully. I understand why it is not correct anymore as unnecessary words will make my writing really difficult to understand.

I found the peer review process very helpful and I was able to learn from my team member’s writing. In my opinion, Jessica’s examples are very well formulated and the attached visual illustration was helpful. After reading the peer review, I will have to better utilize the expansion technique to explain my term and include a visual aid in my definition. Other than that, I was not able to catch a few of the other errors. The parenthetical definition is missing parenthesis and the sentence definition was not in one sentence.

I adapted my team member’s opinion and I have implemented those points into editing my definition. I have changed the situation and audience to better reflect the specific audience.  I have added a work cited list as well as a visual presentation and a proper conclusion.

Link to the revised definition:

https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2020wa/2020/09/29/1-3-definitions-and-peer-review/

Link to Jessica’s peer review of my definition assignment:

https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2020wa/2020/10/01/assignment-1-3-peer-review-absorption-rate/