Facebook + Skype = Video Calling on Facebook Chat

Is it possible that the two most used online functions are being joined together?

Wall Street Journal’s Live Blog revealed that Facebook now has 750 million users due to the partnership of Facebook and Microsoft, Skype’s new owner.

Facebook: an extremely popular online social networking site created by Mark Zuckerberg

Skype: a program that can be downloaded to call or video call other users

Facebook and Skype are now operating together to launch video calling on Facebook chat. With a new button between the ‘Message’ and ‘Poke’ buttons, you can now ‘Call’ your Facebook ‘Friend’! 

The benefits of this two in one function is that users of Facebook don’t have to “create new Skype accounts to make calls” and it also offers minimal set up.

Some suspect that this partnership is somehow linked to Facebook’s biggest competitor of social networking: Google+ and its ‘Hangout’ feature which includes group calling.

For me, this is pretty great. Skype uses up lots of memory on my computer so when I video call on Facebook chat, I don’t have to run Skype on my laptop so it doesn’t slow it down.

With Facebook constantly changing its layout and adding new functions, who knows what Google+ has in store to offer?