Harmonized Tax…?

After reading Jennifer Wu’s blog on “HST Referendum Cost 8 Million Dollars”, I realized that there are many contradictions that leads to the conclusion of it being ironic to call the recently imposed tax “harmonized”.

It was mentioned in her blog that “out of the 3.96 million voting packages mailed out, only 1.65 million was returned, with the majority against the HST”. Not only are the public now opposing the HST, they’ve been opposing the tax right after it was voted through the government! It is ironic how the elected representative were supposed to make decisions on behalf of us citizens, yet ignores the opposing voices when making decisions.

Also, the comic that she added in the blog was very humorous and added interest towards reading the article. I thought the comic was being very sarcastic about how the HST came into existence. Perhaps the comic suggested the idea that the government jumped to conclusion without comprehensive negotiation and consideration.

The tax is also not suited for the word “Harmonized” in a sense that there was added cost to the implementation of the HST as well as its repeal in the near future. Therefore, I agree with Jennifer’s word “anarchy” rather than “harmonized”.