RE: Marketing in Digital Age by Stella Cho

Stella has successfully analyses in her blog  post how marketing has become an integral part in social media during this digital age. Brand has been  benefited by information and technology in terms of marketing. Social networking sites (SNS) has provided access for company to understand the market demand as well as getting closer to the customer in general. This post interests me because I can directly relate to my personal experience; there are  multiple times that I remember of wanting to buy beauty products after I watched make-up tutorial in YouTube.

In YouTube videos, twitter or even Instagram post, I often notice how the person who post the feed oftenly being endorsed by certain brands. For instance, Bethany Motha,a young youtuber has been maintaining partnership with Target. In the beginning of her video, she often announces the giving away deal for the week, for watchers who comment or re-tweeet her post, they will have a chance to own the product. 

Betahany giving away Target lunch bags from Target

Another example, in Jaclyn Hill‘s channel I constantly noticed how she promotes and give recommendation to products that she uses on her beauty tutorial. In addition, she also inform watchers  the detail of the product( including the brand, the type even serial number). Even though the purpose of the tutorial is essentially to explain how to apply make up, in a way these channels also provides watchers or customer about product reviews or product recommendations.

Jaclyn Hill explains how to use the beauty product while also giving recommendations

Through these examples, I conclude that company’s should take more advantage on the benefit of social media especially YouTube as mouth-to-mouth( direct) advertising in fact is more effective and targeted more than large billboards or expensive TV commercials. We also see how company’s who partner up with these individuals understand how important it is to market their brand to consumers, through consumers.