No more midterms…for now! Hell Week is Over :)

Hey everyone, it has been a while since I blogged.  A lot has happened, and as usual classes have kept me really busy.  Last week was pretty much hell week.  I had 3 midterms, a test, 2 labs, and of course keeping up with classes on top of that.  The way the midterms fell on eachother was just disgusting.  Long story short by Friday I had gone 3 days straight without sleep, and no sleep Sunday night either -__-.  I dont advise this for ANYBODY.  This is really bad, and Tuesday night I planned to sleep, knowing I wouldnt get the chance wednesday and thursday night.  Somehow that didn’t happen.  My first midterm was classical studies that was on Monday. This class is a memorization class, and I absolutely LOVE it.  Literally I memorize, memorize, and memorize some more before each quiz and get great grades. Not only that but the terms we learn are useful for everything, I find hard words in every class that I can break apart because of clst.  The midterm was good, its just that I didn’t really review the history portion, I’m sure I still did well, but our professor has a serious problem with putting the slides on Vista.  She even threatened that if anyone took pictures of the slides she would “walk out.”  This is messed up right?  First of all, she goes so fast, and always seems agitated when people ask to go back, sometimes she wont even go back, she’ll just retalk about the slide… but its like, if your not going to give us access to the slides, then give us time to copy them?!  I actually noticed that I didnt have one of the history questions in my notes, so i probably missed it.  I am going to talk to her next class, because this can’t be right, right?  But besides that, I literally had a Bio Unit Post Test 4-4:50 and my Clst 301 Midterm 5-5:50.  For some reason our Biol tutorials NEVER end at 4:50, she took up the answers when me and my friend left for the midterm.  And my oh my guess what question showed up on our midterm… the solutions were never posted online. *sighhhhhh*

Besides that, my OChem midterm grades came out, and lets just say that I am ecstatic that there is another midterm.  I hate it when you do a midterm, feel like you aced it and then find out you didn’t.  If theres one thing I took from this midterm its that the ochem ta’s grade too harsh.  Most of the marks I lost were trivial mistakes like drawing a huge molecule missing one lone pair and getting 0 X__X, and I can’t complain too much because everyone got graded to the same extent.  People actually got marks off for a wrong answer on a question.  Not like you get it, you get points, no, you get it wrong, they deduct!  Like SAT’s, eew.  This didnt happen to me, I got that question, or atleast part of that question luckily but still.  I am going to go slow as a snail for the next midterm so I can make sure I give the TA’s no excuse to completely screw me over with the grading.

For my hell week, the Biol 200 midterm was fair I think, I don’t know why they stick the midterm with so much experiements, like clearly this course is more related to the tutorials than the lectures.  The midterm was late, ended at 8:15 ish, and my Biol 204 was the next morning in class after my Chem Lab.  -__-  By the time I finish a midterm I like to decompress but I didn’t really have time for that with Chem lab and Biol 204 the next morning.  So I just studied Biol 204 that whole night.  Biol 204 is a conceptual course, but loaded with terminology, there is literally so much to memorize, right when you think youve memorized a massive chunk, theres another chunk within that chunk.  If you’ve taken the course you will understand that.  Luckily, I actually enjoy the course, the labs are pretty fun, we started dissections, and compared to chem labs, wheew, Bio labs are a dream, slicing up sharks and salamanders is far more appealing than anything chem lab has to offer.  Well right after my chem lab, I reviewed Biol 204, had a shot of espresso and tried to relax.  The midterm ended up going surprisingly well.  I think my best the whole “midterm season”  I got extremely lucky in that the random stuff I drilled into my head the most showed up, note that there are only 5 questions, 10pts each on the midterm.  People tell me that I am obsessive, but there you go obsessive questions showed up, like knowing Chondrichthyes splits into Elasmobranchii and Holoencephalii.  Besides clst 301, Im certain it’ll be my best midterm, strange as thats the test i got the LEAST amount of sleep, this was my last midterm (friday) 3 days of no sleep.  Chem, I had a good 8 hrs, and made dumbb mistakes (smh i will never forget a lone pair again).  So I dont know, its messed up logic, but I think drilling the stuff 9hrs nonstop before the mt works better FOR ME than sleep… I mean my Physics Final, no sleep, and probably my best grade since Ive been at UBC.  I don’t know, I wish I could find Binta clones and test out different study methods to see the best.

Gonna get back to work,  bye for now 🙂

Binta

About binta

UBC First year student. :)