on graduating

In Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray, a portrait of a man alters itself with every vile act the man it portrays takes until it is a hideous thing to look at.  This plant I named Dionysus.

I see Dionysus as the Picture of Miriam.  It has grown splendidly in residence at UBC.  At times, certain leaves have yellowed and I had to pluck them off.  These scars remain, where there are abnormally long gaps between leaves.  It grows marvellously still, in proportion to its tiny pot!

Whenever I re-read my blogposts, as latest as the last few, I never fail to cringe in embarrassment at some ugly turn of phrase, some ludicrous idea, or some self-righteous and ignorant comment that I have made.  Immortalized mistakes, that is what writing is, and most especially blogging, the public side of journal writing.  My greatest desire is to shut this whole blog down, but I can’t help but that think that maybe, maybe someone would come across a post and find it of use.  I will hold out as long as I can without shutting this place down, but if the time comes, you will know why.

I have finished all my courses and I am waiting until my official graduation ceremony in late May.  I wish all of my classmates the best in their future endeavours, and I am always here with an open ear waiting to hear of your successes and, if you need a hand, your falls.  I don’t quite believe in fate, and I don’t think we exist as passive pawns in this game of life.  Yet I find companionship is best explained as two kids sitting at the edge of the wave pool in North Van., just sitting as the waves gently wash over our chests at brief intervals, just waiting for the next one to come for us both.  I’d be delighted to keep in touch with anyone I have interacted with here at UBC, if only to share commentary on the waves we’re sitting through.

I am pursuing a Masters in (political) philosophy at Queen’s starting in September for 12 months.  I do not expect to blog.

Congratulations, everybody, on making it through another year.