Cultural Appropriation part 2: History

(This is the sequel to this blog post, which discusses cultural appropriation in relation to costumes)

In this post, I would like to talk about how history influences how we view and interact with the world. More specifically, how the art/cultural movement of Orientalism has influenced Western and East Asian cultures, and the effects this has on cultural appropriation. History provides context for our modern world. It allows us to see the influences and events that have shaped and continue to shape our culture. Most importantly, history allows us to see that beauty standards have not always remained a certain way. They are mutable; they are constantly changing.

With this in mind, let’s look at the history of cultural appropriation, specifically the art/cultural movement of Orientalism. Orientalism refers to the “imitation or depiction of aspects in Middle Eastern, South Asian, African and East Asian cultures. These depictions are usually done by writers, designers and artists from the West.” (source) This description might lead you to believe that Orientalism is steeped in problematic colonial beliefs, and contributed greatly to the othering of Middle Easten, African and Asian peoples within Western society. You would be correct. 

Image made by ceruleancynic

Image made by ceruleancynic

The movement began somewhere in the 14th century, but it gained a lot of traction within popular Western European culture in the 18th and 19th centuries.

L'Esclave blanche by Jean-Jules-Antoine Lecomte du Nouÿ depicts a member of a harem: a common theme in Orientalism

L’Esclave blanche by Jean-Jules-Antoine Lecomte du Nouÿ depicts a member of a harem: a common theme in Orientalism

There were several lasting effects of this movement including–but certainly not limited to–the influences on literature and art. For example, Van Gogh was deeply inspired by Japanese floral prints.

An example of Orientalist influence in Van Gogh's paintings

An example of Orientalist influence in Van Gogh’s Almond Blossoms.

An example of Japanese floral art, done by the Japanese artist Hokusai

A subgenre of Orientalism, Japonism, influenced French fine art and English decorative arts. It was during this movement that the kimono painting mentioned in my previous post was made. This article talks a little more about the painting’s historical roots, and how that affects the statement the painting is making.

Claude Monet's painting, La Japonaise, which was part of an exhibit that sparked outrage at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts

Claude Monet’s painting, La Japonaise

In addition, the Art Nouveau movement in the late 19th-early 20th centuries was hugely influenced by Orientalism and Japonisme. Art Nouveau went on to be the main influence behind 1920’s fashion, architecture, and overall aesthetic.

gaudi

An example of Antoni Gaudi’s Art Nouveau architecture

art nouveau print

An Art Nouveau print inspired by East Asian floral prints

the-wave

The Wave by Erte, a well known Art Nouveau artist

The Seasons by Art Nouveau artist Alfonse Mucha

This history of Orientalism and Japonisme can sometimes make it very difficult to tell what is appropriation and what isn’t. In some cases, as mentioned in the previous post, it is very obvious–Katy Perry didn’t wear a kimono just to broaden cultural views, she did it to make a statement and borrow the exoticism that comes along with another culture’s costume. In other cases it can be more difficult to tell what is appropriation and what is an exploration of the intersections between Western and East Asian culture.

For me, at least, learning the history of culture and cultural beauty standards helps me better understand not only my own culture, but how my culture intersects and influences other cultures. 

Global Fashion

(quick note: The second part of the appropriation blog post should be up this friday!)

I’d like to share a couple of fashion and style blogs that I personally follow and enjoy.

fuckyeahchinesefashion  describes itself as “Chinese fashion in general. Street fashion, magazine scans, models, stores, news. We will try to make it 40% modern,40% traditional,10% Cpop and 10% art and other stuff.”  It’s more of a general aesthetic blog rather than a straight-up fashion blog–there are artsy photos of buildings and landscapes in addition to clothing photos. There are also a fair amount of posts about historical Chinese clothing and paintings.

tokyo-fashion is “an online magazine devoted to clothing, accessories, and style in Tokyo, Japan.” It mainly focuses on street style photography in neighbourhoods such as Shibuya or Harajuku. While street fashion is the main focus of the blog, there is also a focus on the different artists (specifically clothing designers) within the neighbourhood, and their latest projects. IMO, they do a very good job of presenting Japanese fashion in a way that doesn’t alienate the reader–a problem I feel a lot of other sites fall prey to.

fripperiesandfobs is a blog run by a costuming student, and contains historical fashion and costume design. It is mainly focused on the West, and usually the clothing is from the late 19th-early 20th century, although there are posts that feature the costume design for recent movies (I believe there was a series of posts comparing the initial sketches of costumes for Game of Thrones with the finished product). It is purely fashion-based, and has little to no text accompanying the pictures. I find this interesting because you can see how the Western image of beauty has shifted over the years, and the different trends that have gone in and out of style.

Minori has been mentioned on this blog before, but I’d thought I’d give her another shout-out because I really like her, and find her story inspirational. Her blog post contains photos of her outfits, updates on art shows she’s hosting/participating in, and assorted fanart/letters from her fans. I’ve already talked a lot about Minori here.

Fanny Rosie is a woman who lives in Montreal, and her blog (like Minori’s) Mainly contains pictures of her outfits. She dresses in a Lolita variant style, (Lolita is a fashion/subculture which originated in Japan and which mainly consists of wearing Victorian-ish clothes such as teacup skirts, elaborately patterned tights, and lots of bows and ruffles) and posts fairly regularly. Her blog is interesting, because her style is a Western interpretation of a Japanese style which was influenced by (among many other things) historical Western fashion. It’s all very through-the-looking-glass.

If any of you follow fashion blogs you think should be on this list feel free to tell me, I would love to hear about them!

Cultural Appropriation part 1: Costumes

NOTE: I’m going to focus on non-Japanese individuals wearing kimonos or dressing up as “geishas” just because I don’t want to make this post too long. I in no way want to imply that other cultures are not or should not be involved in this discussion!

Since it is halloween, I thought I would do a quick post on costumes that involve dressing up as other cultures. Many individuals who do this say that they are simply showing appreciation for a culture, and that there is nothing offensive about their actions. There are some cases where this is blatantly untrue, and it is obvious they are simply using another culture to establish a certain aesthetic without putting any thought or care into how the other culture is presented (the most notable example of this being Katy Perry’s AMA performance in which she dressed up as a geisha, which these two articles both discuss in more depth). 

Katy Perry's controversial AMA's costume

Katy Perry’s controversial AMA’s costume

Many activists (rightfully) claim that this crosses the line from cultural appreciation into appropriation, and that their culture is more than just a costume. The Boston MFA, with it’s “Kimono Wednesday’s” event, was recently the center of one such debate. (For those of you not familliar with the issue, the Boston MFA hosted an event in which patrons could dress in a kimono similar to the one worn in Claude Monet’s La JaponaiseThis article discusses the controversy surrounding the event.)

Claude Monet’s painting, La Japonaise, which was part of an exhibit that sparked outrage at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts

While there are a lot of nuances in that specific scenario (all of which boil down to japonisme and orientalism which I am going to talk about, but in a seperate blog post because man, I get very passionate about art history and how it affects the relationship between cultures), the most important takeaway–at least for me–is how divided many Asians are on this issue. While there are some who claim this is inexcusable appropriation and should be stopped immediately, there are others who claim that the event was breaking down cultural barriers. (This tumblr post explains this issue a little more, caveat being it’s from tumblr)

The line between cultural appreciation and appropriation is very thin, and in many cases entirely subjective. It’s a complex issue, and I don’t claim to know everything about it. What I do find interesting, though, is how these ideas influence our perceptions of beauty, and what constitutes attractiveness. I’m going to be talking more about the implications of appropriation vs. appreciation next week, I just wanted to post this first as a sort of primer.

One final note: This is a store located in Tokyo, whose primary role is to allow foreigners (specifically non-Japanese/non-Asian foreigners) to dress up in Kimono and walk around the neighborhood.  From what I can tell, the mission statement is to give foreigners a chance to wear kimono properly–that is, putting them on correctly and wearing them in the proper style. While not perfect, I think it’s interesting that this store is giving foreigners permission (and help) to dress in kimono in a fairly non-offensive way.

As always, comments are lovely! I would really like to see how other people feel about these issues.

[EDIT 11/24: Added pictures]

Beauty Through the Ages

These videos show the changes in beauty standards over the 20th (and into the 21st) century. They focus on America, Korea (both north and south) and the Philippines. They really show how how much beauty standards change over time.

I’ll have a more wordy blog post up later this week on this subject, I just wanted to post these videos first!

[EDIT 10/30: I added another video to this playlist; it shows the changes in men’s style in America.]

Shironuri and Self-Expression Through Fashion

This video talks about the Shironuri subculture practiced in Japan (sort of like punks, goths or hipsters over here) and focuses on Minori, the artist who popularised this specific subculture. Although it originated in Japan, there are people in other countries who consider themselves Shironuri (i think there’s a Finnish artist in particular who is very active within the Shironuri community, I’ll see if I can come up with an article that talks about her at all.)

The video goes over most of what being Shironuri entails–painting your face white, wearing neo-victorian/gothic clothes, having elaborate wigs and makeup. More importantly (to this blog at least) is the interview with the artist herself. At one point, she’s asked how she got into Shironuri, and she says it was because she has always considered her skin to be too dark–and by painting it white she could erase her flaws. Her face becomes a blank canvas that she could use to create art.
I think that everyone–especially women–do this to a much lesser degree. We wear foundation and other kinds of makeup, we dye our hair, and while this can be used to hide our flaws (both from ourselves and from society) it can also be used to create art. I feel like we as a culture usually portray fashion and makeup constricting or limiting our freedom. While this is definitely true, I think we forget that makeup and fashion can be used as a tool for self-expression, not just as a tool of oppression.

Thanks for reading!

(Minori’s website is here, and this blog also has a lot of information about her.)

K-Pop and the Western World

This is a video series that discusses, rather tangentially, the differences between beauty standards in Korea vs. America. The entire series is pretty good, but the second video–which discusses the makeup used by Korean pop idols–is the one that I found most relevant to my topic.

While this doesn’t really go too in-depth into the differences between the two cultures, I think several interesting points are raised in this video. Namely:

• The way that Eugene, the Korean-American man, was always called ugly when he was a kid, and how that is slowly changing
  • The way that Suk-Young Kim talks about the difference between Korean and American standards of beauty, and the different social attitudes towards beauty.

I’m not entirely sure about how I feel about this video series, or about the rising popularity of Kpop in Western Culture–while I appreciate that it is an opportunity for people to learn about Korean culture, I feel like it is too often presented as “crazy” or “weird.” There is a lot of discussion about how it is so unusually, and so unlike anything that exists in the west, but without any thought put towards why these differences may exist.

Although I am not entirely sure how successful they are, I do appreciate that this video series does try and provide some cultural context.

A note about language

The first few posts I make on here might be pretty formal in terms of language/diction–that’s mainly due to the fact that I want to be very clear with what my ideas are for this blog, and to lay down the groundwork for my ideas surrounding my niche. I want to be precise about the things I talk about here, and I find that it’s a lot easier to be precise with more formal language. As I get more comfortable with my  topic/define my ideas more, I should start sounding more like a real person and less like an academic essay.

Actual content should be up by friday!

Introductions

Hello guys! Welcome to my blog, in which I am going to talk about the mainstream beauty standards in Eastern Asia (specifically Korea, China and Japan) compared to the beauty standards in the Western world (specifically the US, UK and Canada). If I have enough time/resources, I would also like to talk about the effects the discrepancies between these two cultures’ standards of beauty has on immigrants, but I don’t quite know if I am going to be able to cover that much material. I would rather go more in-depth on a single specific issue than cover a whole bunch of issues very briefly.

The main goal of this blog is to look at the differences not only between the Western world and Eastern Asia view beauty, but the different standards of beauty held within Eastern Asian cultures. I want to avoid lumping China, Japan and Korea into one large singular entity, and instead recognize them as independent societies/cultures. In short, I would like to compare and contrast the mainstream conceptions of beauty held by each culture.

I should have some links posted tomorrow or saturday, but I wanted to keep this intro post separate from them just for organizations sake.

Thanks for reading!