Re: Humour in Marketing

In response to another interesting blog written by fellow classmate Khalil, Humour in Marketing, I want to discuss the different effects commercials can have on consumers. After watching this commercial for Alexandre Keiths, I agree with what Khalil says on how it is appropriate for certain target audiences. Throughout hockey games you rarely see commercials for children’s toys, but see a lot of beer  and alchohal advertisements. This is because people who like to watch hockey tend to also enjoy drinking beer.

Having humour in a commercial is a very effective technique and has been a trend for a lot of years. However, while watching the last Canuck’s game, one particular commercial caught my eye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSd8CqBEbcY

This commercial takes a more serious stance and tries to show you how much emotion these professional hockey players feel and how much the Stanley Cup really means to them. Being an athlete, I definately had goosebumps throughout this commercial and I felt even more emotion towards the actual game being played. I like this technique utilized by the NHL, and you also see it being used by other sports leagues like the NBA. Instead of getting viewers to laugh, they get more serious emotions circulating. Although this commercial is for the NHL league and not necessarily a specific product, it still promotes everything about the NHL like their merchandise and actually witnessing history being made. I’m sure after the Canucks win the Stanley Cup (Yes, I am very confident), I will be speechless and have no words to describe what I am feeling.