Unit Three Reflection Blog

Writing with You Attitude Memo to Evan Crisp

In unit 3.1 of ENGL 301, we are asked to write an email memo of advice to Evan Crisp on best practices in writing an e-mail to a professor seeking to be added to a full course. In a memo to Evan, we are tasked to demonstrate the you-attitude toward Evan. By reviewing section 1:7 of the you-attitude and reader-centered writing handout, I could learn how the you-attitude avoids a condescending tone in writing by eliminating unnecessary imperatives. The handout advised me to keep the you-attitude in memo reports by avoiding the pronoun “you” within the body of the memo and imperatives within the body of the memo. Overall, I was able to learn how to demonstrate the you-attitude in memo reports in the process of reviewing the handout and writing a memo to Evan with the you-attitude.

Formal Report Draft

In unit 3.2, we are asked to write a formal report draft that includes all core elements of the report. First, I organized and analyzed the data collected from two surveys distributed to Computer Science teaching assistants and students. Since I experienced a low participation rate in the survey with teaching assistants, I had to discuss my concern with Professor Erika. Professor Erika suggested that I keep collecting data from now until the final draft is due. I also decided to include the “Limitations of the Study” section in my report to indicate that the sample size may influenced the interpretation of the findings from my research. After I completed organizing the result of the surveys, I created the illustrations that I plan to integrate into the text of the report with the labels. Then, I started to write the title page and the introduction of the report. On the title page, I included the intended readers’ names and the working title. I also reviewed and learned how to include in-text references in MLA style to the secondary sources I quoted in the background of the study section of the introduction. After completing the introduction, I formulated the body of the report with appropriate headings and subheadings. In the body of the report, I explained the process of data collection, analyzed the trends in the result of the surveys associated with the problems stated in the report (the lack of continuous support for teaching assistants), and suggested possible solutions. I especially focused on describing how to ensure the suggested solutions be workable and cost-effective. For example, I suggested teaching assistants complete a survey prior to the one-on-one meeting with an instructor to summarize any concerns or questions to be discussed during the meeting. Finally, I wrote lists of conclusions and recommendations. Overall, I was able to learn how to analyze collected data, create appropriate visualizations, and write all core elements of the report in the process of drafting a formal report.

Peer Review Process

After writing the formal report draft, I was given an opportunity to read and review my partner’s (Alethea Kramer) work. In the process of reviewing Alethea’s draft, I was able to learn how to provide positive feedback with suggestions for improvement in the you-attitude. Since I also experienced a similar problem stated in her report in my previous workplace, a lack of spontaneous workplace interactions between team members due to the quick transition to remote-based work, I could read her report with a sympathetic attitude and provide positive feedback based on my previous experience. Furthermore, I could reflect on my writing from the writing strategies in her work. For example, she provided parenthetical definitions for important technical terms (synchronous and asynchronous) in the report for the intended audience. After learning how she used parenthetical definitions to explain complex technical definitions, I could also add a parenthetical definition for an important technical term (BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act) in my report for readers. She also provided me with positive and informative suggestions for improvement such as rephrasing some sentences to improve the clarity of the meaning and increasing the size of the labels of visualizations. Overall, I was able to learn how to exchange positive feedback with a critical eye on writing in the peer review process.

Revision Process

After the peer review process, I was given a chance to revise and enhance my formal report draft based on feedback from my partner. My partner could provide me with crucial feedback that was helpful to improve my work. Based on her feedback, I could rephrase long sentences into two or more concise sentences and improve the clarity of some sentences. Furthermore, I could also increase the size of the labels of my visualizations in the report which were difficult to read. My partner also provided me with positive feedback on how I maintained a positive and you-attitude tone throughout the report and how I started the report with a clear and concise overview of the teaching assistantship program, followed by a well-documented research methodology and data collection process. Overall, I was able to learn how to review my partner’s work and provide positive feedback with the you-attitude. I could also learn how to improve my work based on the critical feedback from my partner in the peer review and revision process.

Enclosure:

Original First Draft: 301 Byung-Sun Park Formal Report Draft

Revised First Draft: 301 Byung-Sun Park Revised Formal Report Draft