Unemployment

Post-secondary employment has become far from guaranteed. The hundreds hours of studying required to graduate provide, without certainty, a “chance” to get a job. Competition has reached a new level, and university graduates are paying the price.

Cecile Ouillet’s blog mentions “Post-secondary education is now a requirement for most careers.” I would even go as far to say that, without some sort of internship or experience in ones given field, direct employment is unlikely. CBC’s article underlines three key factors to the high rates of youth unemployment (13%-15% for people 15-24 years old): sense of entitlement, education and stalled careers. I believe all three of these are related. Most believe that with a post-secondary education, companies will want them. The truth is that 75% of people under 30 have the same credentials, and that is the root of the problem.

Cecile argues that the article is false in its assumption that universities teach knowledge instead of work-place know-how. I would have to disagree with Cecile, as I believe the article is correct. The things that one learns from university must be applied, in order to achieve a higher level of learning. That is why companies look for students with real life experiences. A vast majority of applicants will have education, but to land that first job one must have that extra piece of differentiation.