Welcome!

First, let me take a second to welcome all of my readers to this blog:

Hi Mom!

I’m joking, of course; I also welcome all three of my classmates who read this page.

A Brief Bio

I’m Cianne, and this is my blog. While I’ve started it for the 2018W T2 section of ENGL 470 (Canadian Studies for any of you not in the know), I’m hoping that it will eventually become a place for Canadian storytelling outside of just this one class (check back next year to see if this is the case!)

I’m an English Major in my “3rd” year of a never-ending B.A., and I also have the wonderful privilege of working for UBC full-time. So, I’m on campus nearly every day, but I rarely see the inside of a classroom, as unfortunately, most classes fall in that 9:00 – 5:00 range.  I’m from both B.C. and Alberta, and Vancouver was the 7th city within 7 years that I called “home”.

Bowen Island, B.C.

So, what exactly are Canadian Studies?

Canadian Studies is a fairly broad designation. I mean, just look at the size of the country. In the English Literature discipline, it generally refers to the reading and analyzing of Canadian “canon” literature: names such as Margaret Atwood, Margaret Laurence, and Sinclair Ross. However, in this particular class, we are going to be focusing on Canadian Indigenous literature,  reading some written works, and examining the role that orality plays in Indigenous literature. We will explore how stories are used in nation building, the stories we all tell about being Canadian, and the implications of a “Canadian canon” that often leaves out most Indigenous literature. Hopefully, we will discuss ways to shift this canon.

Expectations

I expect and am excited to become acquainted with Indigenous literature, as it is a genre (if that is the correct term) to which I am a newcomer. I am eager to expand my knowledge of the rich literary tradition, both written and oral, that has been a part of this land for generations untold.

In particular, I look forward to continuing the process of decolonizing my own personal stories about Canada, and to learn more about the land that I call home. I am also extremely thrilled to learn about reading for symbolism from cultures other than my own: it’s a skill I plan to put to good use!

“Creation Story.” Nisga’a Lisims Government, 12 Jan. 2019, www.nisgaanation.ca/creation-story.

“Decolonizing Ourselves.” Centre for Humans Rights Research. University of Manitoba, 12 Jan 2019, law.robsonhall.com/chrr/other-resources/critical-conversations/critical-conversations-on-truth-and-reconciliation/decolonizing-ourselves/.

McKinnon, Cianne. Bowen Island Cliff. 2017. photos.app.goo.gl/zMZ8o3TuQbrCg6tF9. Accessed 12 Jan. 2019.

Read 6 comments

1. Hello Cianne,

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative blog post! I agree with you that Canadian Studies can be considered to be a fairly broad designation.
    I enjoyed reading the Generations Untold creations story that you included, and I think that it is a great example of some of the Indigenous Stories that we can hear from Indigenous Peoples. In addition, I also really enjoyed the “Decolonizing Ourselves” article that you linked as I believe that it points out many truths about our country and the way that we need to start to approach positive change in all respects. Regan speaks many truths, most notably her statement that “how people learn about historical injustices is as important as learning the truth of what happened” caught my eye. She highlights the fact that reconciliation is not just about meeting a goal, but it is about learning how to live together. Although goals are important in order for change to occur, I think that this way of thinking is much more attainable as it allows us to stop and think to ourselves, “what does living together as a society really mean, and how can we do that in a more harmonious way?” I think that simply asking that question leads us on the right path to reconciliation.

2. Hi Cianne! I am also super excited to learn more about Canadian literature and what it actually means and focusing specifically on Indigenous literature in this course. When you mentioned the reading and analyzing of literature it made me think of the ways we will be studying the Indigenous works of literature. I wonder if we will take the same approach as we have with other pieces of literature. I think that when we are analyzing the Indigenous works it will be done with far more respect and an open mind to the experiences of Indigenous communities since their experience has shaped Canada as a whole. Do you think we will be analyzing the works of literature in this class the same way we have done for other more “canon” pieces? Thanks for your post, looking forward to this class! Tamara

• Hi Tamara!

That’s a really interesting question, which I hadn’t considered before now. I think that we will analyze the Indigenous literature in some of the same ways that we analyze other literature, but we will also view it and think about it through a lens of colonialism that isn’t brought to all other literature. I hope that we still discuss things like story form, language use, and symbolism, even if it doesn’t look quite the same as we’re used to!

Did you have a different take on this?

3. Hi Cianne –

Thanks for your blog. Glad to read it alongside your mom.

I’m glad you’re interested in reading more Indigenous literature- though it’s unfortunate we’ve only been assigned Thomas King, who is already one of the most well-read Indigenous writers in the country. Books by Indigenous authors that I’ve enjoyed recently have been Split Tooth by Tanya Tagaq, The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline and Islands of Decolonial Love by Leanne Simpson…. also, Heart Berries by Therese Marie Mailhot. Centering Indigenous literature, especially Indigenous women trans, queer and two-spirit voices is one of my personal decolonial commitments (I also have interpersonal and institutional commitments). It’s a way of returning power to Indigenous thought and knowledge in my own mind and, of course, supporting Indigenous artists.

• Hi Georgia,

My apologies for this late reply! I think that you make an excellent point and that it is too bad that we are mostly focusing on only Thomas King’s work. However, I think he does a fantastic job of mixing oral and literary storytelling techniques, which is something that we are focusing on this in this course.

But, that aside, I really appreciate your reading suggestions of other Indigenous authors and have placed them on my “to read” list! Prioritizing and centering other Indigenous authors is a fantastic goal, and I think that the more people read them, the better.