Introduction to the Field

Chapter 11: Visual Culture Art Education: Why, What and How
Paul Duncum

I disagree with Duncum’s argument that we need to avoid the art school model of dividing courses by mediums. I think material/visual culture can be integrated into all disciplines when introducing a unit. I think that separating courses based on “disciplines” is important for organization’s sake, and there are notable differences in the skills and technique applied. It doesn’t mean that other subject matter and material can be connected.

I do agree with Duncum’s emphasis on moving the art curriculum away from one that celebrates private self expression, putting emphasis on the way people engage with imagery by being aware of media ownership, stereotypical representations, and  the impact of the gaze. In a question that I can only partially answer, how can art teachers reference and include the institution and media to educate students on how career-based art practices function in the real world? And should practical art, or art careers, be part of a new curriculum?

Introduction to BC’s Redesigned Curriculum

I found this reading to be informative and comprehensive. I like the inclusion of the visuals and break-down explanation of the Know, Do, Understand model. However, I found it to be a long reading that sort of reiterated points of teaching that seem obvious to me. I understand that a document like this needs to exist so that all BC teachers have a mandate to follow, sort of like an instruction manual detailing the parts we need, their functions, and some examples as to how to use them.

Question: How will the government provide the tools and resources for teachers to support Indigenous studies? And if they don’t, how can teachers educate themselves to incorporate Indigenous studies into the curriculum?