Classroom Management

Learning to Let Go: Motivating Students Through Fluid Teaching in a Choice-Based Found Object Assemblage Unit – Danielle Wayne Dravenstadt

Assemblage is the perfect project to introduce play and self-led learning to students. I looked into the artists she showed her students: Nick Cave, Tara Donovan, Sarah Frost,  Dan Steinhilberand Numen. Each artist has exciting examples of interesting and critical artwork made with assemblage techniques. I found some of the wording in the article a bit puzzling (“authentically explore artistic principles”) and the emphasis on self-expression. In contrast to previous readings that encourage a diversion from the private engagement of self-expression in art making, to being aware/creating more critical discourse on material culture, I wonder if my classmates think that Dravenstadt successfully allowed for both.

The article also had me thinking about creating a space conducive for fluid teaching and choice-based learning. I remember Kyle mentioned a TED talk about the best kindergarten you would ever see. I watched the talk, by Japanese architect Takaharu Tezuka. He explains that the kindergarten, created in 2007, promotes real-life learning, physical activity and interaction, due to the design. The children are allowed to experience risk, because there are trees to climb and spaces to hide in. Noise is encouraged because it is evidence of interaction (would you ever go to a quiet bar?) There are no walls. There’s glass panels so people can look down and in from the roof. Simple items like wood boxes and hoses allow for imagination and play. Environment affects learning, so how will you structure your teaching environment to promote risk-taking and growth from your students?