Student Awards

Source

At the end of year, students are eligible for subject awards.

I remember when I was in high school it wasn’t a surprise as to who received them. Awards may have amplified the stereotypes and labels teenagers grow attached to and use as a self-identifier.

Who deserves to get one? They are usually based on academic standing. What do awards do for students? When I’ve received any sort of recognition, I would feel a swell of pride but also wonder, why me? I never thought to ask, I thought the title of the award said it all, a four word sentence that was supposed to embody the diligence and commitment to… a high school law course…

Awards tell us that hey, YOU! You’re good at this thing. Maybe you should continue pursuing this thing.

What if Awards were given for growth? But the title didn’t say “Most improved.” The title of the award  is so important, just as are pronouns and names. The title should describe them as a person. Maybe a trait or a skill. Art Awards can be broken down into different subcategories. I was searching the internet, trying to find appropriate titles. I found a website that cleverly linked the award to an artist’s name and came up with interesting ways to present awards (my favourite was reusing old brushes and decorating them so they become trophy-like.)

If teachers consistently award students who show excellency in academic performance, do those students feel any different? What kind of example does that set for the rest of the students: If I can’t ever reach that level of “academic performance” why bother trying?

Some students just do. They aren’t performing for anybody. Don’t forget those students. Don’t forget the students who contribute in class and practice kindness and respect to others. Don’t forget the students who don’t quite nail the assignments and continue to try. Are educators awarding students who consistently have the privilege to maintain academic standing, who have not faced an intense loss or experienced failure?

What does it take to be deserving?