Online Exhibitions

There are a TON of online resources for educators and students, but how do sift through them all to find the good stuff?

Firsty, look local. I think it’s important for you to get to know artists in your area, and how they might be contributing to the community. Seeking out local artists can also give you ideas for reaching out to them for artist talks, tracing their practice and giving them recognition.

I recently heard about UBCO (University of British Columbia Okanagan) fine art graduate students organizing an online-exhibition. From my understanding, students complete their work at home, document it and collaborate with a writer and web designer to post it to their online exhibition. The site features 10 artists and is easy to navigate. From sculpture, photography, video and painting, I can find inspiration from a vast array of mediums.

Source

Virtual exhibitions certainly change the art experience. I have no way to gage its scale, or pose questions to a gallery-going-friend. Will these virtual exhibitions be forever existing online? No one has to miss a show again, and visitors are permitted to revisit again and again. The art world can be dismissive and classicist, but the Internet is changing all of that.