Local Artist Showcase: Abi Taylor

Abi Taylor working on a mural in Gastown

Yesterday I attended a virtual artist talk by my close friend, Abi Taylor. Her presentation was called “Murals of Gratitude”. From the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden website:

“Abi Taylor is an artist living and creating in North Vancouver, BC. Her work focuses on the day to day, and highlights seemingly mundane objects with a variety of lines and washes. Negative space is a considerable part of the composition in her work, although in mood and feeling Abi’s work extrudes a warm, positive energy.
Her first mural — a portrait of provincial health officer Bonnie Henry, painted on the boarded-up windows of Kimprints in Vancouver’s Gastown neighbourhood — drew media attention for its implicit message of hope and appreciation during the COVID-19 health crisis.

Abi is currently studying visual arts at Emily Carr, and when she graduates she would like to continue working on the west coast as an illustrator, drawing graphic novels.”

Abi Taylor

The recording of her artist talk should be available soon! Taylor spoke earnestly about her early experiences with art, drawing lots of pictures of three-legged cats. She always had a special relationship with animals and the landscape around her. I believe her observant connection to the world led her to develop a skill for storytelling and documentation. She brings a journal-sized sketchbook with her when she goes out, illustrating her trips on transit to conversations with friends.

Abi’s art, posted on her Instagram account

In her talk, Taylor humbly credits her art-based job opportunities to chance. I think this is somewhat true. Taylor has a calm presence, she is inquisitive and personable. People who want to work with artists often appreciate a connection, and Taylor establishes connections with people with ease. She’s designed clothing, album covers, illustrated drink sleeves and graphic novels. Taylor is a multi-talented artist with something to say.

You can read an article about her public artwork here (where I also sourced these photographs of Abi working on her piece.)

Until then, please check out her Instagram and website to follow her creative journey!