Reflections on Marketing Assignments

The marketing assignments in which we analyzed the company environment, marketing mix, target segment and created a film project, was definitely a great learning experience. The assignments gave us a lot of practice applying lecture material in our analysis of companies we were interested in and helped me understand why we are learning everything we did in comm 296.  The film project  tied all the assignments together and since no-one of my team had filming experience,  filming and editing was a steep learning curve for us. Learning to use the editing software, as well as communicating and managing the different schedules of my teammates to efficiently finish our assignments were key skills developed in doing this project.

The company my team chose was Blackberry and our target segment was the youths in Indonesia, among which Blackberry is enjoying high popularity. In regards to marketing, analyzing the company and Indonesia smartphone industry (fun fact: elementary aged kids own BlackBerries in Indonesia!) taught me a lot about the steps marketers take in determining the 4 P’s. Being too broad was something my team really struggled on and therefore, one of the biggest take-ways from the project was going in-depth and focus our perspectives when choosing our target segment is crucial in effective marketing strategies.

If I were to do a similar project in the future, I would ensure early scheduling and project planning as top priorities, as I felt that the rush we experienced at the end of the project created a lot of stress on an already busy week. However, I would definitely choose another company that I am interested in and learn more about its activities in international markets, as it was incredibly rewarding!
Thanks for all your efforts, Team 7 :).