The Book of Chameleons – Jose Eduardo Agualusa

I didn’t really read much into the meaning of this book. However, I did like the magical realism of the book’s setting. The main characters are a reincarnated chameleon (which, when I first started reading, Agualusa didn’t intentionally reveal the identity of the narrator until it brought it up on its own, which made me chuckle in spite of myself the moment I learned about it) and Felix, a man who makes his living selling antique books and his ability to fabricate the past for people. Honestly, I loved the scenes where Felix and Eulálio shared and exchanged dreams and watched sunsets together, and it gave me a sense of calm and fullness, like in the following passage:

“…he goes to the kitchen and comes back with a glass of papaya juice, he sits on the sofa, and shares the sunset rites with me. We talk. Or rather, he talks, I listen. Sometimes I laugh – this seems enough for him. I get the sense that there’s already a thread of friendship holding us together”. (p.4)

Okay, now comes the part I don’t really get. Why change the past?

Let’s take Bachmann as an example. He takes his new identity and lives with it, even changing his accent and clothes to fit his new identity better. So is he real himself now? Does changing one’s identity guarantee a smooth life path in the future? In my personal opinion, a person’s life is constantly being recorded and rewritten every moment (every moment of living can be a change). Who cares what your past was like except yourself? So again, what is the point of changing the past? Can I interpret this behaviour as a kind of escape and disapproval? Also, instead of changing the past, it is better to keep the past in mind, to be constantly reminded of how one’s future can be changed from past experiences. The past is not a stain, it’s a “teacher” creates a future of infinite possibilities.

I wish I could say more about it, but I don’t have anything else to share because this book really confused me…

Question for Discussion:

“This seemed perfectly possible to me. A name can be a curse. Some are dragged along by their name, like muddy river waters after a heavy shower, however much they may resist they’re propeUed toward their destination . . . Others, on the contrary – their names are like masks that hide them, that deceive. Most have no power at all, of course. I recall my human name without any pleasure – but without pain either. I don’t miss it. It wasn’t me.” (p. 40)

What does the past mean to you? If it were you, would you change your past? Why or why not?

6 thoughts on “The Book of Chameleons – Jose Eduardo Agualusa

1. Jon

“Why change the past?”

This is a good question, and the answer may be different in different circumstances, but I think I also address this in part in the lecture… Doesn’t Buchmann change his identity in part to trap his former torturer? Who in turn also has reasons to hide, so that his past doesn’t catch up with him.

2. grace meadows

Great post! I thought of the book a little differently than you but I loved reading your thoughts. The past is an important theme in this novel, but I think the idea of transformation or the “chameleon”-like nature of people is what drew me to it.

3. Jennifer Li

Hi Cici! To answer your question, the past to me means all the experiences I’ve went through in my life. I wouldn’t choose to change any part of my past, because each event has played a crucial role in defining my present self and will continue to influence my future. Altering any aspect of my history could make me a different person altogether and I wouldn’t be where I am today.

4. Ruby Dyck Steinmann

Hi Cici. I really liked your post. I believe the past holds a lot of significance for people. If your past experiences were good, we often reminisce and may wish to travel back in time. On the other hand, some people try to forget their past due to it being traumatic. I wouldn’t choose to alter my past because I think it makes me who I am.

5. Fiona Zeng

Hi Cici, loved reading your blog this week! To answer your question, I won’t change anything in my past. It’s a cliche but I do think that your past defines who you are now and what lessons you learned. However, I do understand if someone else might want to change their past.

6. Nini

Hi! I really enjoyed reading your blog! To answer your question, I don’t think I would change the past simply because I think that everything that has happened lead me to where I am today and I wouldn’t want to change that.

– Nini