Office Hour Glow Up

As we begin the time honoured tradition of scrambling for the first week of classes, it occurred to me that I often prepare for, and put effort into office hours first. What is the purpose of your office hours? My office hours are much more than helping a student with course material (although we do that, too)- office hours serve a purpose of building relationship, and therefore community.

I have a desk in my office that is a “student desk” – first come, first served –  no questions asked – they don’t have to talk to me. This desk can be used for quiet studying, but I also have snacks, postcards to write home, colouring books, stapler, hole punch, etc. I have not opened the student desk post-COVID, but will re-launch it this week.

I am also re-launching the together-scarf (this isn’t it’s real name. It needs a name). This project basically takes leftover yarn and students knit to the next destination. Some students are expert knitters and some are just learning. Groups of students show up to chat and pass the knitting around. This term it will be from my office to Bridgette’s office down the hall as step #1. From there, she will choose the next destination – possibly the Botany office upstairs. In years past, this tactile activity served to ease the pressure of making eye contact for some students. It’s also just a way for students to feel belonging to the group. The ultimate scarf from last time is not pretty, but it is meaningful. I have my knitting bag packed and ready for next week.

Finally, I’m bringing in an electric s’mores maker. I won this at the family white elephant last December and hauled it all the way back to Vancouver for this exact purpose. The act of preparing food binds us in amazing ways (I’ve mentioned this before – and thus the title of this blog.)

I wish you a happy return to office hours!