Rural Class on a Field Trip!

Tuesday, we were fortunate enough to be invited to join a Grade 6 class on a field trip to Cranbrook – a 1.5 hour school bus ride… each way! However, despite the travel time, the students were beyond exited to be going to the Cranbrook wave pool – a celebration for reaching their classroom goal of fundraising $800 for a micro-credit account at the bank in Invermere for individuals whom are in need of funds to start a business, go to college/university, etc.

photo-2

While we spent the day with these Grade 6’s and their teacher, I noticed several strategies that I had been using throughout my 10-week practicum, and will continue to use in future classrooms; positive reinforcement, the use of wait time, and respectful listening and positive teacher-student relationships. The combination of these strategies seems to create a calm and positive class atmosphere, where students demonstrate respectful relationships with each other and the teacher. During a break, the teacher and I discussed the benefits of creating such strong relationships in a classroom in regards to helping specials needs and other IEP students feel comfortable and setting them up for success in their academic and social-emotinal progression. This was something that I have always felt very strongly about and have always wanted to be a part of my practice, so it was nice to see that reinforced by another teacher – and to have it be so successful for her and her students!

Another observation I made in regards to classroom atmosphere was how well the students got along… When I asked the teacher more about this, she noted that the students had been together in school since Kindergarten. This obviously was an advantage to living in a rural community, the students have a strong bond and are comfortable with each other. However, a disadvantage would be for students who moved to the district/school in later grades and having to ‘break’ into strong friend groups. But from what I observed at the wave pool, this group of students were inclusive (especially with their classmates with special needs) and respectful to one another.

It was great to observe such a lovely class of students and a teacher that has built a strong teacher-student relationship with each individual in the class.

This entry was posted in Week 1. Bookmark the permalink.