Who am I and how do life narratives affect our society?

I am Charlotte Victoria Michaels and I am 18 years old. I was born and raised in London, England and I am currently studying at the University of British Colombia in Vancouver, Canada. I decided to travel half way across the world for university because I have a curious mind – a mind that loves exploring new places, meeting new people and encountering diverse cultures, all things that I could find at UBC. Whilst fashion, food and friends form a huge part of my life I also feel free and at home when racing down a mountain on a pair of skies or walking windswept along a beach.

Life narratives are ones reflection on their past or present experiences, which they identify as important moments. Often these events build personalities, they affect one’s dreams, desires and perspectives of the world. But how does one’s own experiences affect other peoples attitudes towards them and the world? You could look at the example of how Alan Turing, a British Mathematician, created an electromechanical device – the Bombe – during World War II which decrypted the Nazi Germany Enigma Code. He invented a machine which could carry out any given instructions on a universal scale. This revolutionary idea became the blue-print for the electronic computer. Computers are now used internationally, they have allowed globalization to occur, which has led to culturally diverse locations all over the world. Their development has been a crucial factor in shaping demographics, leading to new laws and ever more accepting societies. Alan Turing was an essential figure in shaping the dynamics of our world today, yet he committed suicide due to the homophobic laws of society that existed in England until 1967. Although his contributions to society were great, his life was wrought with social difficulties due to his sexual orientation that people could not see past and could not predict the monumental impact he has had in the world. With examples like this, I hope to explore how life narratives affect the world we live in and how they continue to shape our ever changing global world.

UK London -- 1951 -- Portrait of the famous early computer inventor and war hero Alan Mathison Turing ( 23 June 1912 – 7 June 1954 ). His work at Bletchley Park in World War II was instrumental in cracking the Nazi Enigma code - which was a major factor in the Battle of the Atlantic -- Picture by Elliott & Fry/Lightroom Photos
Alan Turing, UK London, 1951

Image source: (1) Google images

»